1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 day old chicks, scab on tush

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by daisy40258, Jun 20, 2007.

1. daisy40258

daisy40258 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2007
    Good morning! I have 4 day old chicks that are the greatest thing I have ever seen! My question is that we have one chick that seems to have a large scab of some sorts on her tush - actually just below it - my husband calls it her "egg laying area" - I am sure there is a much better term for it - we were checking all of the chicks last night for pasting and we noticed it - it seems pretty stuck on - we tried washing it with a warm washrag but it stayed on pretty good - I am worried it might be some sort of an infection or something....have you ever heard of that happening? I am totally crazy about my new girls and I don't want anything to happen to them!! Please help! Thank you![​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

could be from others pecking her. I would run some warm water over her bottom while gently rubbing with a Q tip, or soft cloth. This may take a few minutes to get it to release...just make sure when you are done...gently blow dry her, and get her back under the heat. They chill so easily. IF it is a scab, from a sore...you may want to get some wound coat. I get mine from the feed store...it is the prettiest shade of purple! LOL.

3. Barb Schuetz

Barb Schuetz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2007
    Viroqua, WI
    Sometimes chicks will get poop stuck to them and sometimes it's not actually blocking but just below. You're supposed to just pull it off and some down will come with it( chick won't be happy). Maybe this was the case and someone before you pulled it off and it bled/scabbed a little. This happened to me but I knew what it was because I watched the guy at the feedstore do it before I brought them home. That, or maybe it had some poop there and another chick pecked at it enough.

4. daisy40258

daisy40258 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2007
    Thank you SO much! I will try that asap - I will get some wound coat right away and try to get the scab off!! Our feed storedoesn't have much here, mainly only feed and our farm supply store has a limited supply of things but I will try it right away! This forum is the best thing ever! You guys really are amazing![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by