1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HilltopFarm, Apr 3, 2009.

1. HilltopFarm

HilltopFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    The Garden State
    Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I just recieved 12 chicks on wednesday, 4 delawares, 4 Jersey Giants and 4 Golden Buffs. They seem to be very healthy and active.

I fed them a couple of small worms today just as a treat. Is this ok?

Thanks

2. HilltopFarm

Apr 3, 2009
    The Garden State
    Sorry, here's the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Before you give them any more treats, make sure they have some grit. Go to any pet or grocery store and find the parakeet grit. Believe me - the chicks will go nuts for... yes... dirt. They love the darn stuff.

Grit is important for chicks because chickens "chew" food in their gizzard. The gizzard is filled with gravel and grit, which grinds the food up since chickens don't have teeth to chew. They need it to digest the food.

After they've had grit for a couple of days, you can give them other treats. My babies are nutso for crickets. I'll throw one or two on the floor of the kitchen and watch the 2 babies run around, slipipng & sliding, as they chase the crickets and each other.

Ahhh.. what better way to spend a Friday evening! [​IMG]

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I try to think about baby chicks like a Momma hen would. She would be out showing them the world and all the good things to eat in it from day one. So you can do the same! As always, everything in moderation!

5. HilltopFarm

Apr 3, 2009
    The Garden State
    Thanks, yes, I have mixed a small amount of Chick Grit into their food. Is once a week a good time to give them a treat?

6. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mine got their first cricket at a week old. i'm w/ krcote on the whole "treat like a momma hen would". If a hen finds a tasty treat for her chicks, she's going to teach them to gobble it up. Mine get 95% chick feed, 5% other. They just started getting oatmeal and today they got a little bit of canned corn.

7. OutdoorFun4

OutdoorFun4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Great pictures! They all look very happy. Enjoy them.

8. HilltopFarm

Apr 3, 2009
    The Garden State
    Quote:How do you make the oatmeal and how do you feed it to them, and how often?

9. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Congrats they are beautiful! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:I don't make it! I just poured a few grains into a dish & gave it to them. They slurped it up quickly. I give them some when I feel like it. For example, today they were running around the kitchen. They'd been out for a while and I wanted to reward them for running to me. So I gave them maybe a tablespoon of oats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by