4 day old closes eyes and chirps

mizzhoneybee

Chirping
6 Years
May 22, 2014
hello!!

I have three chicks I hatched in the classroom last week. Now they are 4 and 6 days old, only a couple days apart but the two oldest look fluffier and bigger. I'm a little concerned about the younger but maybe two days is a big difference. The smaller still looks sticky gets clumpy butt more often and sits around and chirps with its eyes closed while the other two seem way more alert. I've seen it eat so I'm sure it's getting nutrients. A parent said it looked unhealthy and would die and she had chicks as a kid so she's an "expert"! But I thought I'd ask here just in case I need to help it out a little. It won't let me post the video so here are some pictures, of the olders and younger. Thanks for all your help!!

Ps does her beak look ok?
And do you know what breed? I got them as a mix egg batch at a feed store

❤️
First time mama, Alicia

Attachments

• IMG_3694.JPG
    IMG_3694.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3951.JPG
    IMG_3951.JPG
    452.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3952.JPG
    IMG_3952.JPG
    420.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3956.PNG
    IMG_3956.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
It doesn't look quite right. What temperature are you brooding them at?

It's anywhere from 80-95 degrees.
This one was slow to hatch too. It was the first crack in the shell, not pipped, just a little crack, then sat there while everyone else hatched and finally pipped last Thursday morning and hatched Friday morning. The other two were together and this was alone for a day before I put it in the brooder with them on Saturday. I hope it wasn't too soon. Could that be it? What can I do to help it?

Thanks!

Usually when a chick appears to be "sticky", somehow the temperature changed while the chick was developing inside the egg. It's good that their eating, but wait a few days to see how they do. Hope it works out!
:thumbsup

Have you tried gently cleaning the eyes? I had one chick that couldn't open his eyes - cleaned them and he was perfectly fine. Vitamin supplements / electrolytes in their drinking water won't do any harm either.

Have you tried gently cleaning the eyes? I had one chick that couldn't open his eyes - cleaned them and he was perfectly fine. Vitamin supplements / electrolytes in their drinking water won't do any harm either.

Hi now I've noticed the eye is completely shut. It wasn't like this a day ago. Not sure what to do? Warm water compress to clean it? Anything else?

Attachments

• IMG_4066.JPG
    IMG_4066.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 11
Ok I cleaned the eye and got the goop off and have now noticed a lump on its shoulder. It's like a see-through skin bubble... now I really don't know what to do! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4076.JPG
    IMG_4076.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4079.JPG
    IMG_4079.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 10
Your chick has numerous problems. First of all, it looks like pasty butt in one of the photos. That's when the poop is runny and dries on the vent sometimes clogging it. This makes it hard for the chick to poop and it becomes backed up. You need to soften the crust with a Q-tip dipped in warm soapy water, then clean it with a cotton ball and clean water.

The chick is peeping because it's uncomfortable or in pain. It may be constipated. If it isn't pooping as soon as you clean the vent, you may need to get some mineral oil into it. You should then see some poop produced in volume.

The "blister" on the skin could be a condition where a trauma has ruptured one of the air sacks chickens have under their skin. You need to keep an eye on it. If it grows in size, you may need to prick the skin to release the air. If you do this, great care must be taken not to introduce bacteria.

Your entire brooder should not be that warm. Only one spot directly under the heat source should be around 80F to 90F. The rest of the brooder should be much cooler so chicks can shed excess heat. If they aren't able to do this, pasty butt can be aggravated.

Back
Top Bottom