4 Day old Cornish Cross Not eating,drinking or pottying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by weebles&wobblesmom, Mar 24, 2011.

1. weebles&wobblesmom

weebles&wobblesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new here and I have a question. I got a cornish cross chick that was rejected by the person who purchased it. Ok I named it Weebles, so I'll use the name instead of "it".... anyway, Weebles will not eat, drink or potty. When I first got him home, I thought he was going to die. He just laid there, but after I got him heated up, he started peeping really loud. I put food and water in with him. This morning, he was standing (not very well but he's up). I noticed that there is only 1 small spot of poo, but his little bottom is clean. None stuck.
    My question is, is it possible Weebles could be lonely? He was in a box with 14 other chicks before he was rejected. I also have an orphaned duckling, the same age, but I didn't want to put them together in case Weebles was sick. Wobbles (the duckling) is doing great.

I have NEVER had chicks before, but I couldn't just leave either 1 to just die because they didn't "pass inspection". I have done all kinds of reading.

If anyone can give me some advice, that would be great. He made it through the night and I don't want to see anything happen to him.

Oh, I dont know if this makes a difference but he was the smallest 1 in the group he came in with.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    First off... [​IMG]!

Second, chicks do not do well on their own like that and I kind of have to wonder why a broiler chick would have been rejected by it's original owner in the first place... I'm assuming they ordered them for their... usual purpose. But then something made them think this particular chick wasn't going to make it to the table. [​IMG]

Though additionally, you could give the chick a drop of Poly-vi-sol (without iron) in its beak and a dropperfull in their water to see if that perks them up. Some people use electrolytes instead straight in the water but I've not done so myself before. The poly-vi-sol has been my chick saver and can be found at your local pharmacy in the baby or vitamin section for around $9. I usually find it in the vitamins section on the bottom shelf, it comes in a purple, white and gold box;
    [​IMG]

And you can make the chick feel a little less lonely by putting something soft and fluffy under their heat lamp. Something they can easily snuggle into/under. Some people use feather dusters for this while I've had success with stuffed animals that the chicks can safely squeeze under for comfort.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  3. weebles&wobblesmom

weebles&wobblesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Thank you for your advice. I will try the stuffed animal thing as well as the other advice. He doesn't look good now. I was at school for an hour and when I got home, he looked worse. I set up a new area for them but have the duckling is serperated by a piece of cardboard.

I work at a farm store where people can order chicks and the guy just said that he didn't like the way he looked so he didn't want him. thats what happened with the duckling too. I was told that nobody thought the duckling was gonna make it, but he's doing really well. He does seem to have a slight problem with 1 eye. If you reach for him on that side, he freaks out.

Thank you again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by