4 day old scratching face - missing feathers now

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Got a 4 day old scratching feathers out of the side of her face. She’s pretty itchy it seems. I checked them for mites and don’t see any. They have paper towels in the brooder not shavings. Any ideas?

Attachments

• D12DFE99-9889-4113-8191-CE67A04C4231.jpeg
    D12DFE99-9889-4113-8191-CE67A04C4231.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 3E8E94ED-0A7B-46C3-BC90-E71C8071B927.jpeg
    3E8E94ED-0A7B-46C3-BC90-E71C8071B927.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 8
Can you look in her ear for any infection? Notice anything inside her beak? Any mucous from the nostrils?
Apply a little Neosporin to her wound.
Not sure what's going on there, but I would try giving her Poultry Vitamins and putting bandaids over her nails to reduce the impact of the scratching.
Chicks can be itchy when losing their down. Make sure that you only have 1 warm spot in the brooder and the rest is cool - over heating might make her scratch more.

Just my 2¢

I agree with @Wyorp Rock that something is probably going on in this chick's ears. Chickens will literally point to what is making them uncomfortable by scratching at it or pecking at it. There's a chance you have the beginnings of a brooder respiratory illness, and you can confirm it by examining the inside of the ears for signs of crusty stuff. If it's leaking fluid from its beak, it's further confirmation you have a respiratory illness on your hands.

Have any of the chicks been sneezing?

I agree with @Wyorp Rock that something is probably going on in this chick's ears. Chickens will literally point to what is making them uncomfortable by scratching at it or pecking at it. There's a chance you have the beginnings of a brooder respiratory illness, and you can confirm it by examining the inside of the ears for signs of crusty stuff. If it's leaking fluid from its beak, it's further confirmation you have a respiratory illness on your hands.

Have any of the chicks been sneezing?
No sneezing or discharge from ears/nose. How do you treat respiratory illness?

Update: I got a good look at her face today and it looks like yellow stuff dried to her head. It doesn't look like it's seeping from her ears, almost like yolk but that doesn't make a ton of sense from what I've read. It'd explain why she's itchy though, if she got some crap on her face.

Not sure if I should try to wash it or leave it alone...

Back
Top Bottom