4 day old silkie chick walking funny

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RockyTopHen, Nov 9, 2011.

1. RockyTopHen

RockyTopHen New Egg

Nov 2, 2011
    We have a four day old silkie chick who is not walking right. Seems that he/she can't keep her legs under her. Drags one leg or the other a lot. Anyone ever seen this before? Maybe she just needs to get stronger. ???

2. scooby8863

scooby8863 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2011
    Sounds like your chick may have splayed leg, but you said she changes legs? Splayed legs is when the legs tend to slip out from under them, you can search splayed leg and read lots more about it. Hope this may have helped a little [​IMG]

3. RockyTopHen

RockyTopHen New Egg

Nov 2, 2011
    Thanks. I do believe it is splay leg and am attempting to treat it but whatever we try, bandaid, hairband, etc., it just falls over on its back. Will keep trying. This is the first silkie chick we have had to hatch. Hope it makes it.

4. scooby8863

scooby8863 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2011
    If it is splayed leg they say you can treat it but it has never worked for me mine always just flip over on their backs and cant moved just lay there like a poor roped calf. [​IMG] Keep trying and I wish you luck, I hope some treatment will work for you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. RockyTopHen

RockyTopHen New Egg

Nov 2, 2011
    We finally tried vet wrap and it worked great. Chick is standing up and walking much better. Eating and drinking more too now. Vet wrap was much easier than anything else we tried also.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My little runt mille fleur roo had splayed legs and I successfully treated him with the bandaid wrap for 3 days, and he is very normal at 8 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by