4 days, guessed by feed store as Ameraucana? UPDATED pics in 1st post

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kisat, May 1, 2008.

1. kisat

kisat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Album link - http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563276102ODkBXs?vhost=good-times

My
    mom just bought these little guys from our local feed store to go with my female Buff Orpington (eventually) that just lost her last sister. They were born on April 28 and the guy took a guess at them being Ameraucanas but was not 100% sure. I looked at some pics of them online and it looks like what they might be, but I'd just like to be sure [​IMG] They are cute! They were peeping nervously when brought home so I put them in my hand and they went right to sleep so I took a bunch of pics while I had the chance [​IMG]

Thanks guys! I'll keep everyone up to date on their progress. Once I know what they are I plan on scouring every inch of the internet - and this site - to learn every little things about their breed. Let's cross our fingers that they both are hens! They are so freakin' cute I hope, hope, hope that they are hens so I don't have to get rid of one!

Kim

UPDATE: More pics and the differences I've noticed between the two. I know that they say you can't tell a roo this early, but as a just-in-case. Though admittedly, it could simply be that one's feathers are growing faster than the others, as well as the fact that no two chickens look EXACTLY alike, but let me know if Baby #1 looks like a roo to anyone experienced. Again, I do know that it's prob too early to tell, but 'just-in-case' I thought I'd point out ALL the differences in them. Maybe it will help distinguish the breed as well [​IMG] I'll let the experienced be the judge. I took these when I was giving them some attention in the morning so I could get the pics.

Baby 1 pictures...

[​IMG]
    Tail makes a noticeable V on this one
    [​IMG]
    Shows the side view of it - pretty!

[​IMG]
    This baby has a yellow cere (area above the nose)

[​IMG]
    Top of the head

[​IMG]
    Green eyes and wing

[​IMG]
    Back

[​IMG]
    Yellow legs on this one

Baby 2

[​IMG]
    Straighter tail right now

[​IMG]
    Top of the head

[​IMG]
    Back

[​IMG]
    Face. Pinker cere (area on top of nose) than the other one

[​IMG]
    Wing and tail

[​IMG]
    This one has pink legs - notice almost the same color as my hand. The camera doesn't show the pink well I don't think.

Hope these pics help even more. I don't know why. I just have a gut feeling that Baby 1 might be a roo. I would be the first to admit being wrong if I am though [​IMG] The way it watches over the other one, the way it acts, all of it. Though, it could just be a more protective one, but still ... I just looked at the receipt and it says CHICKS-BANTAMS ALL KINDS 2 @ $3.49 ea. So that is all they knew. All kinds [​IMG] That narrows it down.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    That is what they look like to me.

3. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    What color are their legs???? That will help with breed. [​IMG]

4. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Do they have the face fluff? I can't remember if it's called muffs, beards or what. They look pretty smooth faced to me. Here's a pic of my latest fuzzy faced EE chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They sure are cute whatever they are!

P.S. Yours also look like they have a single comb. I guess EE's can have that sort of comb, but all of mine have had a pea comb.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  5. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Whatever they are, they sure are cuties [​IMG]

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I can seen a couple yellow toes sticking out in one pic, and with that colour and the clean face I would say brown leghorn.

7. kisat

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    mmajw -

Thank you so much for the help [​IMG]

johnmayersquare -

Thanks for the reply. They have yellow legs. Though, that is as far as I can tell right now. Honestly, I haven't looked that hard. I'll update this tomorrow when I make sure to look at them.

Gindee77 -

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're trying to ask. And like you said, they are - as far as I can see right now - looking pretty clean faced. Oh my gosh yours are cute!

debakadeb -

Thanks for the reply. Aren't they? Hard not to want to just snuggle em all day long [​IMG]

fancyfowl4ever -

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes, they have yellow legs - as far as I can tell. As above, I'll update this tomorrow with a for sure answer to the color of the legs. Hmm ... I've heard Leghorns aren't too friendly. I hope that isn't what they are. Though, maybe from raising them young I could work with them if they were Leghorns to not turn out so un-friendly?

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have a grown leghorn who loves to fall asleep with me carrying her around. You can't always go by what the breed is supposed to act like. Just give them lots of love and hope for the best. [​IMG] They are precious.

9. kisat

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    luvmychicknkids -

Thanks. Yes. That is what I was thinking. Thank you so much for that [​IMG] I really appreciate your help.

10. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I breed White Leghorns. If you pay attention to them while they are babies, they will follow you everywhere. (and anywhere). Some people think they are flighty. They can be if they are just fed, watered and left alone. Just like a puppy, they need attention as babes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by