4 days into Chicken Ownership - are my chicks sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HoneyBeeMel, Mar 17, 2013.

1. HoneyBeeMel

HoneyBeeMel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    As any new parents would likely be, we are already thinking something is wrong with our little girls. They range from 3-5 weeks old and we just picked them up on Wednesday. We have 3 RIR's that look the same, 1 RIR that looks different, 1 cochin, and 1 Australorp.

All three of the similar RIR's have splotchy shoulders (where the wing connects to their bodies). It almost looks like the down has fallen out and the big kid feathers haven't yet grown in...but I know so little, I want to make sure they aren't sick.

Here's a good shot of the issue -

[​IMG]

And a closeup of the same ---

[​IMG]

Any thoughts BYC old-timers??

Melissa

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    All is normal - not to worry.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    they are getting their feathers! completely normal, you will also see what's called pin feathers. they stick up and look like little quills. sometimes they go through a kind of ugly duckling stage when feathering i know my girls did then soon you will see beautiful feathers . perfectly healthy and normal. Hope this explains there situation. best wishes.

4. HoneyBeeMel

HoneyBeeMel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Whew! Thank you both for the reassurance and what else we might see along the way. I'll try to relax and enjoy them as chicks, but I'm still watching them like a hawk. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by