4 days into raising chicks and lost 1 - ideas?

Deer_Haven_Acres

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2021
We were 4 days into raising baby chicks yesterday and my husband noticed that one was lethargic and had very labored breathing in the brooder. She had seemed healthy that morning - running about with the other chicks, playing, eating and drinking normally.

When he told me that she seemed to be struggling, I brought her inside and gave her some water that had been mixed with honey (1 pint water, 1 tsp honey). I dipped her little beak in it. She drank a little bit but wasn't very interested. I noticed after a couple of minutes that she seemed to be coughing up the water that she had drank. I took her and held her in my lap on a heating pad to make sure that she was warm enough. She continued to struggle breathing and after 2 1/2 hours she had what appeared to be a seizure and then died on my lap.

Some basic info:
- We use pine chip bedding, changed every other day
- Chicks are in a 2 X 2 X 4 aluminum tub that we bought at Rural King (just like the ones they have their chicks in at the store)
- Chicks have a heat lamp on them at all times, it is hung at the top of the tub
- Chicks are staying in the garage where the temperature varies but stays in the 60-70F range. The brooder is warmer with the heat lamp.
- Chicks are eating a medicated feed
- Chicks are given fresh water with electrolytes daily
- There were 14 chicks. Yesterday we lost 2 - 1 to pasty butt and the other is this one... unknown.

Any ideas what could have caused this death? How can I help save a baby in distress like this and protect my girls better in the future?

Pasty butt perhaps? I lost one to this I am pretty sure. Chicks can get stressed so it's important to check them every day for pasty butt (sounds ridiculous but I promise it's a real thing). Poop cakes on their little behinds and then they can't poop. Easy to take care of though by just getting a wet wash cloth and moistening it and peeling it off.

Sometimes it just happens.

We had a good hatch of 17 chicks, but a couple had to be helped out of their shells, and one of those bled a bit from the navel. However, within a day he was running around with the others and seemed fine.

Three or four days later I found him (at least, I think it was that one -- I really can't tell most chicks apart) sitting still and lethargic.

His tummy was swollen so big it was hard. I think his navel had become infected. He was obviously in pain, and there was nothing I could do but gently cull him.

I've heard that chicks can get a respiratory illness. I'd separate any ill chicks and keep a sharp eye on the others.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I know it wasn’t pasty butt. I am thinking respiratory failure makes sense. Before she died she was breathing so heavily and then at the end she was struggling to breathe but then suddenly chirped loudly and seemed to have a seizure before just collapsing.

I’m new to raising them and it broke my heart. I am sure it will ever be easy to lose one but hopefully as we learn we will know how to protect them and signs to watch for.

I doubt the pine chips are a worry but I don't like using them anymore just in case they eat a bit of it. I just use paper towels and newspaper now which gives me a bit of peace of mind.
Can I ask what are chick electrolytes?
What ingredients does it list on the packaging? I'm just curious cause I know it is important to feed chicks vitamins but what chicken elecrolytes are I have no clue.
Like nutri-drench I know and in human terms electrolytes are generally just a marketing gimmick with no scientfiic evidence to prove they are beneficial, some even say electrolytes are not needed unless running a marathon every day and consuming too much can be detrimental so I am just curious what chicken electrlytes are?
It might help determine if it is beneficial or not. I honestly don't know and chicks do die but after 4 days of being healthy seems strange and I know one hears it all the time happening but maybe it can be prevented? Then again if it does happen so suddenly could anything have been done in time? As long as it doesn't happen to any more so it is worth investigating even if you might never find the answer.

I doubt the pine chips are a worry but I don't like using them anymore just in case they eat a bit of it. I just use paper towels and newspaper now which gives me a bit of peace of mind.
Can I ask what are chick electrolytes?
What ingredients does it list on the packaging? I'm just curious cause I know it is important to feed chicks vitamins but what chicken elecrolytes are I have no clue.
Like nutri-drench I know and in human terms electrolytes are generally just a marketing gimmick with no scientfiic evidence to prove they are beneficial, some even say electrolytes are not needed unless running a marathon every day and consuming too much can be detrimental so I am just curious what chicken electrlytes are?
It might help determine if it is beneficial or not. I honestly don't know and chicks do die but after 4 days of being healthy seems strange and I know one hears it all the time happening but maybe it can be prevented? Then again if it does happen so suddenly could anything have been done in time? As long as it doesn't happen to any more so it is worth investigating even if you might never find the answer.
In my opinion, electrolyte solution is very similar to human drip in hospital, if unconscious or unable to eat/drink then electrolyte solution is going to keep you alive, better than just water. It contains essential salts and minerals. I use Agrivite. I know this has saved a couple of my chicks from dying, one would not eat or drink, he was tiny, he's now nearly 4 months old.

Back
Top Bottom