4 days late..WE HAVE PEEPS!,1 dead, 1 brand new live peeper!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ducklove334, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    we just got home, from Beccas sisters Ortho appointment, today has been a fairly bad day, one of our young cats got hit this morning, so I've been pretty down,

BUT I went into the feed room, one peep fro our broody momma out, laying in the middle of the floor, cold and dead [​IMG]( it was yellow with dark, rusty colored black going down to the wings) I rushed to get Becca, one more egg is pipping, it's made a tiny hole, a couple look like they've maybe made internal pips?, a part of the shell looks thin, these stinkers are FOUR days late, were due to hatch the 21st [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    we have moved momma and eggs from her nest, to a box beside it, that way if this hatching baby is as adventurous as it's sibling, it has to stay within the box, we were having trouble with momma staying with the eggs, but now that it's dark, I think she's settled, I'll be checking about every 30-40 minutes, I also candled the egg, 2 are clear, 2 are questionable, ofcourse the chick whos hatching, and two have babies, but they havn't piped, BUT when I tap the eggs and told them to my ear, I can hear what i think is a tiny peck back, so heres hoping to atleast 3 peepers by morning.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Come on little chickies!

4. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm thinking ahead, because I really doubt the two other eggs are gonna hatch, so here are names I've picked for the baby that is

ASABI-wich means "one of select birth" in african
    SHAKINA wich means "beautiful one" in african
    AYASHA wich means "little one" in Native american

yeah, thats about it [​IMG]

5. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Sounds like it's never too late to lose hope!
    Congrats on the babies!
    Carolyn

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I will get pics of them/it tomorrow if i can, if the camera decides to co-operate

if not it'll be in a few days

7. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I just checked this morning, and the baby that was working on hatching last night is out and fluffy dry this morning, it looks like the other one, but with a bit more rusty colored fuzz. I'm not sure on the other two eggs with babies yet, I need to pull momma off the nest so she will eat,

how long do I wait if I see no pips on the other two before pulling the eggs?

8. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    I wouldn't bother the broody while she is sitting on eggs hatching. She will come out and eat after they are hatched - maybe you could put a cup of food close by - I wouldn't take her off the nest and further distract her or give her reason to quit.

9. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    she has seven 6 eggs left now, when we candled last night, all but two were clear, the two that were dark had no pips, and were not peeping, or moving,

I've fooled with her several times last night, and this morning fooled with her to check on the chick, she didn't like it, but settled right back down, she's been a wonderful momma, not sure if this is her first brood or not, as she is an auction bird.

I'm saying is what if the other two eggs don't hatch, I'm going to give her til tonight atleast, I know she'll stay till all the eggs hatch, but I'm worried she'll stay and starve her live chick

10. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    still only one baby, no other eggs have piped that I can see, she's still on the nest,I gave the baby some chick starter soup, but momma helped herself to most of it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by