4 days only symptom drk green diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aChickNamedGina, Nov 15, 2014.

1. aChickNamedGina

aChickNamedGina New Egg

Oct 6, 2014
    Graham,WA
    please help what do i do? no worms in poo. pullets coop too cold? I tried bringing them in & giving them epsom salt water. Then i tried 2 days of sulfadimethoxine, not working. Going to try tylosin 50 injectable maybe? otherwise they seem normal

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No worms in poo doesn't mean they don't have them. Dark green poo can mean disease, infection, starvation or a combo of things.

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  3. aChickNamedGina

aChickNamedGina New Egg

Oct 6, 2014
    Graham,WA
    last month, they were wormed with fenbendazole 2x/10 days apart. Also a few ivermectin drops when one got mites before that.
    I just brought the 2 of them in for observation and special treatment. So I just fed them some cinnamon in applesauce with poultry probiotics and electrolytes in their water. It is warm and they got petted....I am missing a great night out with my bf just to nurse them! When do I know if i am a crazy chicken lady? I don't want them to know why i really stayed home!

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Some worms, like capillary worms and gapeworms, require worming several days in a row. I'm not saying the problem is worms, just that it could be. You might want to start weighing them, 'cause is suspect that they are probably losing weight. Can you post a picture of them and their poop?

-Kathy

5. aChickNamedGina

aChickNamedGina New Egg

Oct 6, 2014
    Graham,WA
    THANK YOU. IT SEEMS I DID NOT WORM THEM CORRECTLY. I WILL FOR 5 DAYS NOW. BEFORE IT WAS ONLY ONCE, 10 DAYS APART. tHE NIGHT IN HOUSE MADE THEM FEEL BETTER. I WILL WEIGH THEM ALL TOMORROW & IN ONE WEEK I WILL POST BACK FOR AN UP DATE ON THEM BECAUSE, I ALL WAYS WANDER HOW IT ENDED UP ON THESE POSTS,

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont believe it's worms you're dealing with since you've already wormed them. Not to mention, you've flushed their system with epsom salts water and applesauce on separate occasions. Have they been eating greens? Sulfadimethoxine should be given for 4 or 5 days vice 2 days just for your information.
    I recommend that you give them buttermilk mixed with scrambled eggs to eat for several days. Buttermilk is a probiotic that is easily absorbed, better than yogurt, and will help rebuild their immune system. Yogurt tends to pass through their system. Scrambled egg is extra protein to help rebuild strength. Do this for several days and see if there's improvement.

7. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    Dawg gave me the same advice after worming and it definitely helped the one girl who still seemed to have runny poop.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you can, take some fresh poop sample to a vet that is willing to do fecal floats.

Or contact one of these labs and see if they'll do a fecal for you:

Washington

Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
    PO Box 647034
    Bustad Hall, Rm 155-N
    Pullman, Washington 99164
    Phone: 509-335-9696 Fax 509-335-7424

Washington

Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, Avian Health and Food Safety Laboratory, Puyallup - Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory - Puyallup
    2607 W Pioneer
    Puyallup, WA 98371-4919
    Phone 253-445-4537 Fax 253-445-4544

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  9. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    X2. The green color comes from bile, if birds aren't eating extra amounts of greens, or a quick change in diet. Bile in birds is a brilliant fluorescent green. Bile is a digestive enzyme produced by the liver. After a number of metabolic processes, it passes from the liver down a duct (called the bile duct) into the bowel where it aids the digestive process. After digestion in the bowel, components of the bile are reabsorbed through the bowel wall for reuse. It the bowel is diseased, this process won't occur normally, and the result that more green bile stays in the bowel and is passed in the dropping, resulting in a green dropping. It could be that the liver is stressed and toxic from the variety of meds. Capillary worms aren't seen by the naked eye, Caecal worms are difficult to see unless the dropping is fresh and examined with bright light. Fowl cholera also affects the liver. Coccidiosis, bacterial enteritis, Histomaniasis, are a few more that cause liver damage. Choline chloride and thioctic acid in diets help detox and support liver function, so it is important to supplement water with good quality vitamins/probiotics after medicating.

10. aChickNamedGina

aChickNamedGina New Egg

Oct 6, 2014
    Graham,WA
    so, i will go get buttermilk today and just feed it to everybody in the scrambled eggs. sounds like it wont hurt them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by