4 dead hens in 5 days? No signs of foul play

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Youneek Farm, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Youneek Farm

Youneek Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    Kirksville
    Saturday we found a dead hen in the bottom of the hen house. Looked like she just went in and went to sleep. It was crazy hot that day. I assumed it was the heat but now yesterday we went in to find 3 dead hens in the hen house, all side by side. One seemed to have fluid coming from her head (beak / mouth). It wasn't the ridiculous heat that we've had so I'm wondering.... disease??? Poison???? (they do free range about 9 hours a day).

They had access to plenty of water and shade. All 4 chickens were only 1 year old - 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Americaunas. Other factors? Well a couple weeks ago I gave them a bag of layer crumbles as their usual diet of scratch grains was out of stock. They didn't care for it. A month ago we had a stray dog attack and kill 2 birds, wounding one of our now surviving birds (she lost mostly tail feathers and is growing them back). One week later a racoon broke into our brooder and killed momma hen and 6 chicks but that was a separate coop that these chickens have no access too. I don't know what other factors there could be but we don't want our last 5 chickens to catch something and die too.

The kids are scared to go check now for fear the rest will die soon. I have no idea where to start with this but I'm not thinking it's heat anymore. Ideas Anyone????????????????

2. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    It still could have been the heat ... I lost two from heat, they were right next to each other in the coop last year (or was it two now, can't quite remember) - anyway, if you really think it's something other than heat, here is a link that can get you started on trying to figure it out ... if you download the PDF - I believe there is a quick reference type chart at the bottom that will give you the symptom, and cross reference it to a disease, or if you suspect a disease, you can look down through the symptoms to see if they apply.

Hope they are all doing ok .....

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by