4 dead hens!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sylverfly, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    My hens have been ravenously hungry lately and they are all pretty fat, they are over 3 years old now and within the past 2 months 4 have died. They all (including the ones that died) showed no signs of illness. The hens were fine then a few hours later they where dead. Could they have a disease I’m not picking up on or is 3 just old for a hen. Also they all have been eating, drinking, being social, and their poops look fine. Anyone have a clue what could be happening to my poor hens.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My first thought is worms; do you worm them and with what?

Read through the questions in the sticky at the beginning of this section and wee shat other info may be of help.

3. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    I use natural wormers and have had them checked and no worms in my flock. They are always hungry but they are very plump and as I said have showed no signs that I could see of being ill. They were fine then they died. Is it possible that they are just getting old and that these are natural old age deaths.

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    If the died fat and happy worms are not likely the cause. Are these sudden deaths with no sign of trouble before or are the birds just off a bit one day and dead the next.

If the birds are on the plump side just like people their risk of heart failure and strokes goes up.

5. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    What breed were your hens?
    So sorry you lost them...

6. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    Well the 4 that died have all been the fattest of my hens but I don’t know what to do because if I don’t feed them as much as I am feeding them they get very destructive and even pick fights with each other. I’m not sure why they act so hungry it’s a bit worrisome to me. But they have died instantly on a nest or dead on the roost, they have all been fine running around eating drinking then an hour or so later I found them dead. The only reason I can think (if its not a disease) that’s making them hungry is that they are bored they’ve eaten all the grass in their run and don’t have much else to do I guess. I’ll be moving them in the spring to a new coop with a huge fenced area for them to roam hopefully the move will help them feel more entertained. Is there such a thing as chicken life enrichment.

Thanks for the sympathy, they will be missed. They were a red sexlink, a cuckoo maran, and two white leghorns.

7. zoo2u

zoo2u Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Virginia
    i'm sorry to hear about your girls. i don't know what would cause this but 3 is not old. We have a 7 year old. i would talk to a vet...

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Do you know what breed they are?

If you can, get a necropsy if this happens to any others. Too many deaths in too short a time - something is wrong.
    JJ

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  9. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They could be to fat, and have a heart problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by