4 Dozen Silkie Eggs Incubation - Video Added!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greenfamilyfarms, Nov 6, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I just put 4 dozen black, blue, splash, buff, and partridge silkie eggs in the bator! They came from Bobbi Porto in FL. They are due to hatch 11/27, which works out great since I will be on vacation from work and class. I'll keep ya'll posted on progress (these were shipped eggs). This is the most of one particular breed that I have ever incubated at once. [​IMG] Also, I added 2 showgirl eggs and 3 black Cochin LF eggs to the batch to test fertility.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  2. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Oh I love her birds!!! Good luck with your hatch!!!
    I am a silkaholic!! Let me know if you think you have
    to many and I will buy some when they hatch. LOL!!
    I have some silkies hatching now from swheat but I am
    afraid that I won't have many. I am the worst hatcher ever!!
    Good luck!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  3. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    good luck those are gunna be some adorable baby pictures i can just tell

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Good luck on your hatch! Gotta love the silkies.

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Congratulations on the eggs! I was going to bid against you on eggbid, but the computer wouldn't accept my password! I believe it was meant to be for you to win the eggs. Good luck, and don't forget to post pics when they hatch!

6. VTGIRL

VTGIRL Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Vermont
    Good luck with your silkie hatch. Mine started hatching last night... I'm so happy. So far just white and Partridge have hatched but plenty of the blue/black/splash are peeping and piping in there today. I've done nothing today but wait.....very patiently [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. VTGIRL

VTGIRL Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Vermont
    and by the way that digital thermometer is off a bit.... it's really not 104 degrees in there with them...

8. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Those are so cute! I'm excited about them for sure. [​IMG]

9. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Well, things are not looking so good so far. Out of the 4 dozen silkie eggs, I have *maybe* 5 that are developing. Probably a dozen have blood rings and 2 have broken yolks. I'm right sick feeling. I will candle them again this weekend before throwing any out.

The good news is that the showgirl silkie and black cochin eggs from my birds are fertile and developing very nicely! I was able to get a couple of pictures of the developing chickies for you to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, a good picture of what a blood ring looks like. It is very faint, put it is a complete circle. Sometimes a blood ring will just be a streak of red that doesn't form a circle. Can you see it?

[​IMG]

10. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Well, I've ended up with 14 of the 48 eggs developing. And I think I kept about 5 or 6 just as wishful thinking. *sigh*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by