4 ducklings throughing head back, help!!!

shay20

Shay's Flock of Fun
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
in the wild, Mass
ok i have 4 ducklings right now throughing there heads back, and acting like a cizure, what is this?
i had one do it the other day i held it and came back to normal, now 4 are ding it at the same time.
they are in pine shaveing.

Last edited:
Thank you, i really wish i knew what it is.
one did this to me the other day but came through, and 4 all at once, also i gave them medicated chick starter becouse i ran out of game feed last night.

Medicated chick starter can be fatal to waterfowl if ingested in large enough quantities. Keep the medicated feed in areas where ducks and geese do not have access. Sorry about your loss.

Quote:
thank you , yea my freind gypsy just told me that too.
i wish i knew before hand, but these are my very first ducklings ever.

It is doubtful that it was the medicated feed. Most of the medications used in feeds now are completely safe for waterfowl (and have been for about the last 20 years). What you are describing could be a couple different things. Are you ever letting them run out of water? If you are and they are doing this soon after being watered, there is your answer right there (can elaborate if you give more info.). It also could be a Niacin-B deficiency although that doesn't generally result in sudden death of multiple ducklings and generally gamebird feeds have added Niacin. It certainly can though cause ducklings to fall over into seizures. If not these two possibilities, I would probably look at potential toxins. Sorry about your babies.
hugs.gif
HTH.

Quote:
hide.gif
ummmmm actually the water thing did happen, i gave them water last night but this morning we went out and did not get back till later then thats when i gave them the water and thats when that happen. do you think that is what happened?

Quote:
hide.gif
ummmmm actually the water thing did happen, i gave them water last night but this morning we went out and did not get back till later then thats when i gave them the water and thats when that happen. do you think that is what happened?

Just an idea.. but maybe they may have choked on their food if they didnt have any water??... I dont know..
Sorry, Shay..
sad.png
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
hide.gif

Just an idea.. but i think they may have choked on their food if they didnt have any water...
Sorry, Shay..
sad.png
hugs.gif

they did not have any food at that time. it was right after they drank and spilled the whole bowl of water.
but thank you.

Back
Top Bottom