1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 Easter Egger(americauna) from cackle age 4m gender confirm?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pixiedouglas, Sep 16, 2011.

1. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm told these are four months old and from Cackle Hatchery. All were sexed as pullets.

This is Licorice

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jelly Bean

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Candy Cane

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lemon Drop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took the pictures at night when they were on the roost (much to their irritation) so the flash is a little strong.
    What do you think? All girls?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You know EE's and Ameraucanas (no I in the name) are two separate things right? [​IMG]

On to the point -

Candy Cane is 100% boy, the rest 100% girls.

3. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    The first two are definitely pullets, the coloring of the second two look more like cockerels, but 12-16 weeks is a time of big change in EEs, the second two could be pullets... I'm not sure but all the ones colored like your Candy Cane I've seen have been boys.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  4. pixiedouglas

That's what I was afraid of, thank you. Sorry for the large picture size, I even reduced them before I uploaded.

Yes I know [​IMG]

The lady who ordered them from Cackle said they were "ameraucanas" which I am guessing is what Cackle called them? but I didn't check to see what they actually say on their website. I was hoping if anyone else had ordered an "ameraucana" from Cackle my birds might look familiar to them. Oh well, I think she'll trade me for a pullet, she's got lots.

So help me out on why you knew for sure Candy is a boy? I saw a picture of an adult EE someone else posted earlier in the week that looked similar to her in color, but maybe less red in the wing feathers. Is it the red shoulders and the pepto bismo pink comb/wattles? Is any red on the wings a sign of a boy, or just if it's on the shoulders? He has a single comb which totally threw me because on my first two roosters they had very clearly developed pea combs with three rows of peas.

Out of the nine sexed pullets I've picked up this spring/summer that now makes three that were actually boys. Pooh. [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If a chicken is solid white, black, or gray but has different colored shoulders like red, white, or yellow - It's a boy. It is just kind of a color-genetics ruling thing.

Also of course, his comb is very tall and prominent.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:X 2

Chris

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Illia as well, just wanted to comment on Lemon Drop - I've never seen a chicken with nose hair. [​IMG]

8. pixiedouglas

Quote:Got it, thank you. [​IMG]

9. pixiedouglas

Quote:[​IMG]

10. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Quote:candy canes def a boy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by