4 Eggs hatched so far 5 to go in a crude homemade styrofoam incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woman_in_shoe, Jun 27, 2010.

1. woman_in_shoe

woman_in_shoe Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    My kids and I made a crude homemade bator out of a styrofoam cooler a 40 watt bulb, fan and dimmer switch. We struggled with constant temp fluctuations the entire time. We started with 10 eggs and threw one away after a few days because it was obviously not developing. We could see that seven were developing and not sure about the two others because the shells were to thick to see anything. As of this evening we have had 4 hatch, one on Saturday, day 19, 3 today, 2 of which were on day 20 and the other one, day 19 as we started it a day later. One of those was one of the two that had the thick shells and we were not sure about. Thank goodness we did not give up on it. I have not seen them yet as I am still at the ocean but my kids say that they look healthy.

Not bad so far for a first try using a crudely made styrofoam incubator.

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratz on your new babies! [​IMG]

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Good for you guys... Are the kids doing a project? If not this could be a great summer project. I always did something during the summer to keep their minds pliable. @ family dinners that seem to be the hot topic recently. The Kids span from 38 to 19 so the big kids always "share" the cruel details . We all get a laugh... Memory makers [​IMG]

4. woman_in_shoe

woman_in_shoe Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Quote:Another one is pipping, that will be 5 if all goes well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by