4 eggs in coop...have a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bluemongoose, Aug 6, 2010.

1. bluemongoose

bluemongoose Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2010
    My chickens started laying sooner than expected. So, the nest boxes were not in yet, and they are still eating medicated chick feed. [​IMG] I had one last bag to get through, and I thought I still had a couple of weeks.

Q. 1) Can we eat the eggs if the chickens are eating medicated chicken feed? (this kind http://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/StartGrow/default.aspx ) There is only a bit left in their feeder, and then we were going to switch it out.

Q. 2) I am not sure how long the eggs have been there (the nest was off in a corner). Weather here has been in the upper 70's-lower 80's. Is there a way to find out if they are still ok, or too old to safely eat? 3 were cool and 1 was very warm, like freshly laid.

I went ahead a put them in the fridge, but I dont want to eat them if it is not safe....

thanks!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I wouldn't eat them until they're off the medicated feed (which ordinarily is recommended at about 8 weeks old). BTW: That link doesn't appear to be for medicated starter (unless I read it too quickly and missed it) so, if they're just on STARTER/GROWER, the eggs would be fine to eat.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Some people will be horrified and say "NO! Don't eat those eggs!" but I'm not one of them. It's just a bit of stuff to keep the chicks from getting cocci.

And put the eggs in water; if they sink, they're good - if they float, they're bad.

Eggs do not need to be refrigerated to be safe, even for a couple of weeks on a kitchen counter. I bet those 3 eggs are no more than 4 days old, and they'll be good.

4. bluemongoose

Apr 14, 2010
    Water checked them....they all sunk. So I guess that means I am good there.

The bag said starter/grower feed until they are laying and then switch...but it also says medicated. The link is the same as the one I have, but it comes in medicated and not medicated (they don't show both bags in the pic). Our store only had the medicated. I didnt know about the flock raiser being an option until last week. I though it was only for meat birds and I have younger chicks with my now laying pullets, so I didnt want to put only layena in there.

So I suppose I should dump out the rest of the chick starter now, and just deal with the loss of that amount of food?

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Now that they're laying, they need the different nutritional requirements in the layer ration. Plus it's a good idea to give them some oyster shell, free-choice in the coop so they can take it when they need it. It'll keep their shells nice and hard.

6. bluemongoose

Apr 14, 2010
    Yep, have the oyster shell. That will be going out there tonight.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by