4 eggs in one day!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Loren-Michaela, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Loren-Michaela

Loren-Michaela In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    HAYESVILLE NORTH CAROLINA
    My newest layer, Exodus was making all kinds of noises this am. I watched her for a few walk around the yard and she seemed fine. I figured she is just getting used to needing to lay and so I left her be. I checked her favorite nest on my way out ( ours are free range) and it was empty so I went inside. Came back out 15 min later and she was standing on her nest with 4 eggs! How is that even possible? I felt so bad for her but she seems like her usual self. I Left them there for my daughter to collect when she gets off the bus, but now I am worried. Could this be an issue? Can she get egg bound or whatever it is from something like this?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Grandkids and chickens, what more could you want

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I've had the occasional hen lay two eggs in a day, but I've never heard of a hen laying more than that. Is she the only one laying? Are you sure somebody else didn't sneak into the nest with her? :confused:

WallyBirdie likes this.
  3. Skippersnh

Skippersnh Songster

Oct 14, 2019
    she didnt lay all four eggs its impossible

4. Loren-Michaela

May 22, 2019
    Funny part is that my first one to lay, Chunkay laid 3 and I watched her do it. No doubts about that. So I figured that was ok; but this morning and Exodus seeming like she laid 4 has me very confused.
    My girl Chunkay died a few weeks ago. So maybe Lizzie or Raven? Would they lay together at the same time? Lizzie is the boss and she likes to pick on the twins (Exodus and Raven) so I doubt she would share a nest at the same time... I wish I had sat there and watched!

chrissynemetz likes this.
  5. Loren-Michaela

May 22, 2019
    Why is it impossible? I have been trying to research.

6. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Grandkids and chickens, what more could you want

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    Having more than one hen in a nest actually happens a lot. It's funny to watch them climb on top of each other, all trying to lay an egg in the same spot at the same time. :D

aart likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What breed of bird is this...and how old is she in weeks?
    Were all 4 eggs hard shelled and 'normal' looking?
    Pics would be good here, of bird and eggs.

Because it takes 20 hours to shell an egg.
    I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: