4 eggs now 2 !!! Help do I need Rooto Rooter????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by renewistrombaker, Aug 9, 2009.

1. renewistrombaker

renewistrombaker Chirping

Jun 30, 2009
    Los Gatos (bay Area)
    I have 4 RIRs. (born 2/1/09) 3 of them have been laying for over a month, daily. The fourth one finally got a clue last week and I was finding 4 eggs in the nest but only 2 times (once on MOnday and once on Wed). SInce then, Ive only been getting 2 eggs a day !
    They free range all day, get layers crumbles and veggies and some scratch everyday.
    COuld one or two of them started laying in a hidden spot or are they clogged? They are acting normal and voracious eaters as usual.

Is this normal??

THanks
    Rene'

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They free range all day? How do you know they arent laying somewhere else?

3. fasbendera

fasbendera Songster

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    I agree with above post. They are pretty young and may not be trained to go in the nest box. Keep your eyes open.

4. Maryallison

Maryallison Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Hmmm, they could possible be laying somewhere else or maybe they aren't "regular" layers? Sorry I am not much help. I have bantams that do not lay every day. [​IMG]

5. renewistrombaker

renewistrombaker Chirping

Jun 30, 2009
    Los Gatos (bay Area)
    They have a coop and private nest box and they have all been using it daily. I just realized they might be starting a moult? Its new to me but I did some reading after I posted. I let them out of the coop in the morning and close them up at night. I have a small backyard where they dust bathe, eat bugs and scratch around. They are very healty chickens. I just see that Im only getting 2 eggs now. Do they ever MOVE their laying spot even after theyve used the nest box every day? I guess that is my question.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: