4 fully formed 'dead' chicks in egg??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Parson's Wife, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Hi ya'll, [​IMG]
    I recently hatched some eggs....loved it! There was a sad part to it... [​IMG]
    I didn't like tossing the clear eggs on day 14, but it wasn't 'sad', but last night, I finally took the 5 eggs out of bator, and tossed.
    1 was a gushy dark mess, the other 4 had perfectly formed, fully formed chicks inside!
    Oh yes, 8 of 13 eggs hatched...beautiful little chicks.
    But when I saw the dead ones. [​IMG]. .I don't want a repeat, especially if I'm doing something wrong!
    I'm getting more eggs shortly, and if I've done something wrong....I would earnestly appreciate any thoughts or ideas on this. [​IMG]

My temps were correct during the entire time, except on day 20 when they began hatching...I had to keep an eye on them...but they never got off by more than 1 or 2 degrees, for more than 15 minutes.
    Humidity was increased during the last days, and stayed constant for me.
    The only thing that I could think of was when the chicks hatched...they knocked eggs this way and that....
    I read where if you flip the eggs after day 18 you will drown your chicks.....is that what happened?
    Did the rolling of the chicks upset them?
    If so, what is recommended?
    Is there a way to stablize eggs in the last days, without interfering with the air flow?

Any advice would be appreciated.... [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What was your total number of eggs in the bator? Was the yolk sac absorbed? Was there abnormal liquid outside the chick, did it internally pip? Externally pip? It is not all that uncommon for chicks to fully develop but not actually hatch and make it out in the world.

3. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    I had 24 shipped to me.
    2 were broke in shipping (great package, bad PO)
    on day 14 I tossed 8 eggs, 6 were clear, 2 obvious blood rings
    8 hatched, 5 didn't

1 was gushy with yellow and dark stuff...didn't really look at that one.
    the other 4 had no yellow, had some liquid around them...
    no outside pipping....
    Don't know what I'd be looking for on internal pipping????

**Oh and I broke an egg in the bator, messing with the wiggler!
    (It was a viable egg, blood leaked, the dark spot...was that the eye or the heart...it was about day 6 or 7)

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Some reasons for fully formed chicks that didn't hatch or pip are Temp setting too extreme, Sudden and prolonged temp changes at time of hatch (like opening the bator) and insufficient oxygen...Did you have vent plugs that needed opened?.....

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    They may have just been weak chicks. It does happen to all of us.

6. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Quote:I agree. Shipped eggs seem to me to produce more dead in the shell chicks on any given hatch. I think they are weakend en route and just don't have the strength to make it all the way.

7. lightbread48

lightbread48 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2008
    Thomasville Ga
    i dont really have an answer to your question. im on day nine of my eggs. im very excited about them and i cant wait to see what happens. when i first put them in the bator i was expecting all of them to hatch. i didnt consider the fact that things would happen and some would die. i havent thrown out any eggs . . . yet. i will be VERY sad if i have to!!! im sorry that that happened to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by