4-H Chick-Chain finally arrive! updated

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by USMCSGT, May 7, 2008.

1. USMCSGT

USMCSGT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2008
    My daughter decided she wanted to get some chicks for 4-H. I told her she could as long as she paid for them, and took care of them. We have been waiting about a month for them to send us the chicks. Do you know how hard it has been just waiting on them. I built a brooder way to small for the 25 chicks, I figured it would last me about a week. I have read more posts on chickens in the last month, but never thought to check out the brooder sizes. Live and learn. I do have a 4x8x 2'ft deep wood box I am going to turn into nice brooder. I just have to make a top for it.
    The chicks were going to be here on Tues. but it ended up be Wed., my DW said they were picking each other they were so hungry. She got them home and they seem to be doing just fine. Now if I can get my dog use to them, we will all be ok. These are the first chicks my girls have had:D. Hopefully there will be many more;).
    We got 25 RIR. Wish us Luck!

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Good luck and I hope we see pics.

3. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    we love pictures![​IMG]

4. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    You're gonna love 'em! My RIR is soooo sweet! He loves to sit on my shoulder while the other chicks play. He looks up at me like "pick me up mama!"

5. USMCSGT

Mar 25, 2008
    Well, so far so good. All the chicks are doing great. We have had to split them up into 2 brooders, in the next day or so I will have to get a much larger box. I have also gotten a Buff Orp roo from man I go to church with. I am hoping to talk him out of a hen.[​IMG] I am just waiting to see those combs come out to start telling the hens from the roos.
    I will have to get my brother to take some pictures and post them for us.

6. USMCSGT

Mar 25, 2008
    The chicks are now 26 days old, and seems that we have had them forever. So far it is looking like we will only have 1 rooster out of the 25 birds. We have move them once again to a larger brooder outside in the coop. They are pretty funny to watch, they will come up and try to fight you then want you pet them.

7. USMCSGT

Mar 25, 2008
    Well guys we have eggs now. From 3/25 to 9/25 exactly 6 months to the day, I collected 4 eggs today.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Putnam County 4-H Chick-Chain Poultry Show and Sale will be at the Putnam County fair Grounds October 9th. Show will be at 6pm and the sale will be Immediately after.
    Pens of 5 Pullets will be sold. For more information call (931)526-4561

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  8. vicky

vicky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ohhh! Isn't that exciting! Your first eggs!

My 2 chicks are only 1 month old... so 5 months to go!

but I am scared one of them's a rooster. :-( oh dear...

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Congradulations !!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by