4-H Chickens - What Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teckkev, Apr 15, 2012.

1. teckkev

teckkev Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    Last year, I had a hen and several roosters left over. They look like White Leghorns, but other White breeds look similiar to Leghorns. Anyone know the real breed of the chickens 4-H uses? My roosters are beyond hefty! In fact, when the dominate rooster gets into a fight with the neighbors rooster, my 4-H rooster falls on its back and can't get back up. I have to check on him daily to ensure he isn't on his backside. 1st time I sae it, I figured it was dead by losing the fight. No, it was alive and uninjured.

Sorry for the story added to the question :)

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    a picture would help but they sound like they could be white cornish rock crosses... meat brids

3. teckkev

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    [​IMG]

4. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Yes, they are Cornish X meat fowl.

5. teckkev

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH 45133
    Thanks, I can stop calling them Leghornes now (**** Foghorn Leghorn), lol :) Since I have a hen in the batch, I guess eggs would be good to incubate for meat chickens.

Kevin

6. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    You can incubate them, but they may not be fertile. Meat fowl tend to have a hard time mating. In the commercial world they don't actually breed Cornish X to Cornish X, they breed a Cornish to a Plymouth Rock. This is easier as the parenting birds will be healthier, lay more, eat less, mate naturally, and give their chicks that hybrid vigor.

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    meat birds don't breed true. but if you cross to a different breed of chicken as I have you still come out with a big bird. they just don't grow as fast or as big, but don't have the health issues either. good luck

8. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    They look like Cornish Rock crosses to me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by