4-h groups?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kerrysmommy, Sep 16, 2011.

1. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    hi was wondering if you have to be in a 4-h group to show if your 10-16
    thanks

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    To show in like an open show? If so no. You have to like between 4-17 to show in the Junior Open Shows

In 4H (at least in Indiana) you start around 3rd grade and your what 8 or 9 when your in 3rd grade. I think I was 8 when I started 4H.

3. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    okay so i dont need to join 4-H?

4. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I think you can enter if you're not in 4-H at your county fair, or if you find another poultry contest in your area. Just my thought. You'll have to check with them, though. Look up your county fair on the internet, and see what the regulations are. They likely have a phone contact who will guide you.

5. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    okay thanks for all the help i really want to show my silkies next year and my mom is iffy on the subject so i will talk to her more as the time comes

6. tandersphoenix

tandersphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Hi, if you are entering a sanctioned show you should be able to enter in the OPEN show which means you will be competing against the Adults too. A lot of shows you will need to be in 4-H to enter as a youth. My daughter started showing at 8 in the open shows, we are not in 4-H yet but we are going to join. Sometimes the kids get some pretty nice trophies and stuff for their birds without the tough competition from showing in the open show..

7. shawnadoodlebug

shawnadoodlebug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    covington,ga
    Quote:no you dont need to join 4-h you can go to blueeggbrownegg/shows to find some shows close to you.

8. franciscreek

franciscreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Northern California
    Here in northern california you can enter the 4-H and FFA youth shows as an independent.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:You don't need to be in 4-H to show.
    My daughter is 5 and she just shows in open class.

Chris

10. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    if u want to show in at 4h fair you have be 4h member unless the have open class it dosent take much to jion so why not just jion one

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by