4-H Help with Showing French Black Copper Marans????????????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tobin123, May 12, 2010.

1. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    We had drove 3 hours away to buy 1 roo and 3 hens~~of the French Black Copper Marans.My son wants to show them in 4H but our superintendent stopped by last night to help me with deciding on all of the chickens that we have and he said that all of our silkies are too small and the White Crested Polish are small as well.And he said that the French Black Copper Marans are UNRECONISABLE,that they are not in the American Standard.Any body with help,please.We only have til Friday to turn in the paper work but the Fair isn't til june 30.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Can you post some pictures for some of the BC people to look at? They may be able to help you see what you've got. Maybe he was referring to the fact that they aren't an accepted APA breed?

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    What did he mean by unrecognizable? Does he mean that they do not look like Black Copper Marans? I sure hope they do after you drove all that way. Can you post photos?

Marans have not been accepted into the APA yet as a recognized breed but many many wonderful breeders are working on it. Hope it is very soon.

This may not have answered your question so I hope someone else comes along and gives their opinion. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  4. tobin123

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG]

Here is the rooster,they lay very dark mahgonly eggs.

5. tobin123

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the pictures of the rooster and hen next to each other

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Tobin~

How old are they?

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Largefowl marans are not an APA recognised breed. The ABA recognises bantam cuckoo marans. This does not mean that they cannot be shown; only that they cannot progress farther than Best of Breed.

Generally birds need to be at least 6-8 months old to be shown. You can enter them, but they will not fare well in judging, even if they show the potential to be the next champion of a large show--they are just too immature. How old are your silkies and polish? I am assuming that it is age, not size he was commenting on. If he did mean size, then how much do they weigh? The silkies are obviously bantams; how about the polish?

FWIW, an entry is usually at most $3, and often only $2, so let your son enter the ones he wants; you can always scratch. Also, some shows allow substitution and others do not; find out whether yours allows it or not (stated rules usually say not, but depending on the superintendant, they may well--it's worth asking).

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Birds to be shown at the end of June should probably have hatched by the end of December or earlier; however I would have expected this to have been discussed earlier in the year so that unpleasant surprises did not pop up ashortly before the show. I would talk to the 4H leader and ask the question about the marans. 4H shows may or may not choose to follow the rules of sanctioned shows.

9. tobin123

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    I am told to look for the APA standards,I just spoke with the super.of chickens and he told me to look and just to go ahead and enter the birds.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by