4-H information how do i join???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkieluver_07, Feb 4, 2008.

1. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry if this isnt in the right place. I want to start showing poultry for the 4-H in PA. I live in Franklin County. If anyone can help me find some information, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hannah

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Maybe you can start at your county extension office. They have a wealth of information and are usually so helpful. [​IMG]

3. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    You need to go to your counties xtnsion office. They will have lists of all the 4-H clubs in your area, what projects other kids are doing in the club, and what the club actually offers as far projects ( some clubs push one or two types of projects such as sters, horses, poultry). They will provide you with the organizational leaders name and phone number so you can call them and discuss the clubs information. depending on your parents your family may also wish to start a new 4-H club. I did this for my duaghter. If you guys want to go this route you will need to come up with a minium of 5 kids between the ages of 5 and 18. And there will be a packet of paper work that your family will need to fill out and turn in. Doing this isnt very hard and the extension office will be more than willing to help you guys get started. OUr extnsion office is at the fair grounds, I dont know if that is wher yours is. Here it costs 30.00 for your first two projects. And then a additional 5.00 for each project after that. The amount of that goes up to 35.00 for the first two if you arent enrolled by feb.2nd. I am not sure if that is the requirments for your area. I am glad you are wanting to join 4-H. It's a great program to be involved in, and I wish you were in this area because I would already have you enrolled it. I started our club to get more kids involved. I have footed th bill for my one kid, and then four other kids that wanted to join but couldnt pay the amount. THey have low in come assistance for kids that need it. But they only allow two projects for each kid. I have found that most kids want to do more than the two projects so I pay the way. I dont mind doing this becaus I beliv that adults ned to do evrything in their power to help kids like your self achieve their goals, and give thm every oprotunity to learn and grow to bcom succesful adults them selvs. You guys are our future, and I beliv its every Adults responsibility to make sure that you get there. If you have any more qustions p.M. me and I can give you a ton of information, and if you get me the town and community you live in I can probably even figure out where you need to go and who you need to call, through our extension office. I am going to be down there on and off today, and the rest of th week. Let m know what I can do to help.

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Here you go, I believe this is the correct one. If not, you'll find your way
    http://franklin.extension.psu.edu/
    It's a great place to get the kids involved. I have my daughter in it with her Horses. She wanted to do it with chickens, but refuses to leave them there for the week of county fair in a cage, I can't say I blame her.

Have fun!

5. quadcam79

quadcam79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    I'm enrolling my daughter also, shes 6..only issue is shes with me every other weekend and her mother would have nothing to do with 4-H. so the extension office said she probably wont find a club to join but can be a member at large and do her projects with me, which is fine by me. I think we'll start with...

CHICKENS! lol

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    thanxs for the info. one problem...our county has NO poultry clubs at all![​IMG] im so sad. My parents said they really dont want to start a new 4-H club sooo... there goes my plans for entering my chickens in the Pennsylvania farm show next year....

7. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    You can still enter in poultey even though the local clubs dont have any kids doing it. Our club shows what projects the kids did last year. Not what projects are offered. There are about 200 projects offered, that way kids always have choices about what project they most want to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by