4-H leader new to poultry

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ptjenn, Feb 14, 2018.

1. ptjenn

ptjenn Chirping

Feb 13, 2018
    Uncasville, CT, USA
    My name is Jenn and I have a six acre hobby farm in CT. I have been a 4-H leader for two years. We are a goat club, and I have six goats on the property , three which are 4-H project goats for three club members. I started with chickens about 1 1/2 years ago to supply us with fresh eggs. Barred rocks, Black Austrolorp and buff Orpingtons. Last fall a woman contacted the club. She had three Sebastopol geese she was looking to rehome, two males and one female. The second female had been killed by a coyote, and she realized she couldn't keep them safe. So now, after locating a second female this past December, the club is doing a goose project!

2. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Welcome ptjenn! Great to have you here!

It's so nice have the room to do projects like yours. I hope the geese do well!

3. ptjenn

ptjenn Chirping

Feb 13, 2018
    Uncasville, CT, USA
    Thank you! I feel very blessed to have been able to purchase this property 4 years ago with an existing 10 stall barn that we have been adapting to mixed use. Currently I have six goats, two who are due in March!, 5 chickens ( just lost one to a predator about a week ago ) two horses and two dogs in addition to the geese

4. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Crowing

May 23, 2016
    wow, it sounds like you are having lots of fun. I apparently had misconceptions about 4-H, well that or basically no one ever explained what is really behind it. now that I have 2 kids, we've gotten into it and been really surprised at how rich it is! I never knew what the 4-H's were and now that my kids are getting into it I can't think of anything better for them than head, heart, hands, health! clearer thinking, greater loyalty, larger service, and better living are all principles that we cherish, yay for 4-H and yay for you being a leader!

5. Trish1974

Trish1974 Araucana enthusiast

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    Welcome Jenn! I was a 10 year member and still a big supporter of 4-H. Good luck with your goose project!

6. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Jenn and welcome to BYC

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
    :yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

8. MrsMistyReal

MrsMistyReal Enabler

Aug 6, 2014
    Mississippi
    Welcome aboard to BYC family gr8 people tons of information loads of fun enjoy shake your tail feathers.Happy Valentine's Day :loveThere's a member here that would love talking about goats with you @CapricornFarm 1250972-eaaf72ec0adea36bcb73d03ebb09f6f1.gif

9. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Crowing

Jun 14, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself comforable. :D

rjohns39, Latestarter, N F C and 4 others like this.
  10. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Jenn:welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: