4-H News!

ChickyLaura

The Crazy Chicken Lady
11 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Eastern/Central PA
I hope I am posting this in the appropriate section.

We have no 4-H Poultry Program where I live. I was thinking of contacting them but never got around to it. I went to TSC a few weeks ago and saw a large display about 4-H. So I took a business card and emailed the contact. I didn't hear anything for a little while, but today I got this email:

"Good Afternoon Laura,

It was great to hear from you and your interest in 4-H. Our program just recently started showing some interest in the poultry project and you couldn’t have come at a better time. I’d be very interested in meeting with you and discussing the possibility in forming a 4-H poultry program here in Schuylkill County. If you are still interested please give me a call at (***)***-**** and hopefully we can set up a time that fits both of our schedules to sit down and discuss the possibility screening you as a 4-H volunteer and moving on towards a poultry leader.

Thank you again for your interest and support!

Briana"

I know it will be a lot of work but I really am interested in doing this with my daughter. We don't even have chickens at our county fair! I really want to change that!

How exciting good luck to you. In NH our county fair has poultry 4H shows and in the past 3 years they have grown. Backyardchickens is a great resource.

I agree, BYC is a tremendous resource.

I think it's very funny how life turns out. Last year at work I was asked to be a trainer to teach almost 500 employees. The class I teach lasts 2 days. I taught so many classes this past year, and to think I used to be terrified to present anything to anybody! Anyhow, by becoming a trainer I have gained a huge amount of confidence. I never would've volunteered for this, or would even think of doing this...

I am so excited, I hope that it works out!
wee.gif

I hope you can get things started. I was in 4-H for 10 years, not with animals though, and it is a great program for kids. My daughter will soon be 8 and I plan on checking with the folks in Berks Co. to see about their poultry program.

I think Berks County has a pretty good program from what I've seen online. I work in Wernersville, so I spend quite a bit of time in Berks County. It is so beautiful out in that area!

Our 4-H poultry club is fairly new. I believe it is in it's 4th year. This is our 2nd year involved. If I can help you out at all just pm me. I think it's a great thing you are taking on.

Awesome! Thanks!

I'm just waiting for the lady to call me back so we can arrange a time to meet. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into... But sometimes ignorance is bliss! LOL! But I figure since I spend most of my time thinking about chickens, talking about chickens, feeding my chickens, etc. etc. etc. and online on BYC, I might as well volunteer to teach others how to become chicken obsessed! Ha ha.

My daughter has had a good time in the 4H poultry project, and I think you will enjoy it as well. Having chickens is much more fun when your friends have them too, and the kids really enjoy going to the fair. There are lots of things you can do with the kids, depending upon their ages.

You GO girl!
thumbsup.gif

4H has lots of support materials too. I still use some of the manuals we got way back when.
I wish son had stuck with it longer.
sad.png

Oh! and there are scholarships for 4H kids!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom