4-H project birds (pic heavy) Looking for opinions :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by froggie71, Jul 23, 2010.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    My 16 year old DS is working on some project birds. His 4-H group is encouraging him and I was hoping to get some input on what is going on so far.

His rooster is a Red Star (so already a mixed breed) and Golden laced Polish hens. 1 hen is bearded and 1 not.

Hens (Bo and Goldie)
    [​IMG]
    Rooster (General)
    [​IMG]

Babies so far
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They all have a (not sure what to call it) a split comb? in a V shape.

They hatched out 3rd week of May. We have them at the county 4-H Fair right now and are getting a lot of comments on them. Any thoughts from anyone?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. 1sttimer

1sttimer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2010
    they are so CUTE!!!!! [​IMG] i just love the little tufts on the top of there little heads. that just screams awwwwwwwwwww to me [​IMG] good luck at the fair. you should enter the first pic for the pic of the week. [​IMG]

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    What's his goal with breeding these birds? Personally, I wouldn't show mixes. They are cute but have no standard. But as long as he enjoys it and gets the experience then that's no problem [​IMG]

4. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Thanks for your comments [​IMG]

Not exactly sure what his final goal is except to hopefully come out with some consistent crosses. As I said his 4-H group is encouraging this project. Unfortunately I did try asking McMurray what their Red Stars are crossed with so my son could have this info for his project, but we were told it is a "secret recipe". DS wasn't showing these birds. We just brought them to see what kind of comments they would get.

Seeing as this is a very small project, we couldn't really get very far, but a neighbor also has a red star roo and if these babies turn out as interesting as I think they are, then we could try expanding later.

I plan to keep updating this thread with pictures as they mature and if and when they have offspring.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  5. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    The babies are now 4 months old. Here is an update on how they are turning out. Unfortunately I was unable to find out what daddy's background is as it is a "secret recipe"

Dark boy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dark girl:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dark boy and girl together.
    [​IMG]

Light boy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Light girl:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    those are hysterical I'm in love [​IMG]
    now cross them with an EE and add muffs and beards Oh and frizzle them !!!!

7. Kyhen

Kyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Hart Co., Ky
    Wow! I love that look![​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:They already have muffs and a beard. It comes from the Gold Laced Polish.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I only see one of the birds has muffs/beard. They are really pretty though. I love those really pale buffish colored ones. [​IMG]

10. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Thanks everyone for their comments [​IMG] Yes the dark girl is the only 1 with muffs/beard. She is obviously the daughter of the 1 GLP with the beard. Since the dark boy and her have the same coloring I wonder if they have the same momma. The light boy and girl obviously have taken on daddy's coloring. I'm thinking they have the same momma. I find it interesting that they all have white legs. I'm interesting in seeing how things go from here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by