4-H question about faverolles

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ethingtonart, Jan 6, 2010.

1. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    This is our first time doing 4-H, so I have a question. Can you only show APA recognized breeds/colors? For instance for bantam faverolles only salmon and white are listed, so my daughter couldn't enter a blue salmon bantam faverolle right?

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

What our guy says for the MO state fair is if they are in the American Standard of Perfection book, they can be shown........HOWEVER,

my daughter shows at the local fair some mixed breeds. or NON standard breeds. it all depends on your show supervisor. See if you can find out who he/she is and send them an e-mail or phone call.

Don't assume she cannot show them. there is usually and "Other" category at most shows.

3. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    We had a Blue-Laced Red Wyandotte and Buff Chanteclier at our local show but they could not be shown at the State Fair.

The study of genetics is a big part of the "science" portion of these animal science projects. Generally (but not every county) they want to encourage the kids to practically learn about genetics by creating new colors or bantam versions, etc. So your county may very well be willing to let her show them, but you will have to check.

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    at the county level basicly anything goes i showed EE's last year and they didnt place but some judges dont know the difference so if you go and show a fav id put the standard on your cage or give it to the judge if they dont have a standard [​IMG]

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    If you were showing in a sanctioned show, mixed breeds would not be permitted. You could show the blue salmons, just enter them as AOV faverolles. The highest they would be able to go is BV or best AOV. Not being a recognized variety, they cannot win BB or higher. 4H and fairs generally are not sanctioned, they're more for the experience and judged more on merit than conformation to the standard, which is why unrecognized breeds and varieties, as well as mixed breeds can be shown.

6. ethingtonart

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    Thanks for the great information everyone!!! I'll be referring back to this post!

While I'm asking... Is there anything else we should be planning to do with these chicks? We don't have our eggs yet, so I'm trying to plan ahead. What vaccinations should they get?

Edit to add, LilPeeps I see you live in Plymouth. Someday (I don't know when yet) we will be moving to Duxbury. My grandfather has about 20 acres there that we'll inherit we are really excited about the eventual move! How do you like it out there?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I don't think any vacinations should be given I have never vacinated any of my birds. Where are you getting your faverolles eggs? I am a big fan of the breed and I am expanding my flock by getting eggs and birds from multiple breeders. Its great you are so interested in this breed they are very hard to find.

Thanks,
    Henry

8. ethingtonart

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    I don't think any vacinations should be given I have never vacinated any of my birds. Where are you getting your faverolles eggs? I am a big fan of the breed and I am expanding my flock by getting eggs and birds from multiple breeders. Its great you are so interested in this breed they are very hard to find.

Thanks,
    Henry

I'm getting my eggs from HatTrickSilkies, her birds look beautiful. I've wanted some good quality standard Faverolles for a long time but I was having trouble finding them. So, I figured that the bantams will be a nice start, and easier for my daughter to handle for 4-H. We are really excited about getting them!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Awsome she has wonderful birds that who my flock is from I should be getting eggs from her today or tommorow. I am also adding some stock from other breeders later in the spring. They are going to be great little birds for your daughter.

10. ethingtonart

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    Awsome she has wonderful birds that who my flock is from I should be getting eggs from her today or tommorow. I am also adding some stock from other breeders later in the spring. They are going to be great little birds for your daughter.

I'm glad to hear that, I tried to do my research first, and she sounded like she would have great birds. I'm keeping tabs on the Faverolle thread. I'd like to do a good job raising and keeping them.​

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by