4-H show birds in southern CA.

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by got-horn?, Feb 27, 2008.

1. got-horn?

got-horn? Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2008
    High Desert CA
    My youngest Grandson is looking to buy some chickens to show at his fair in May. I don't have anything that would work for him. He needs to buy his own birds anyway in order to be legal really.
    He's looking for any type of exhibition chickens. The only problem is they need to be about 4 months old right now in order to be feathered the way this judge likes them to be. Last year his birds didn't do very well because they weren't old enough.
    He really wanted some turkeys but I know we will never find them. If anyone knows where I might find the kind of birds he needs please let me know. I am in the high desert in California and willing to drive some to buy the birds.
    Thanks

2. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    I am clear up in Redding and my kids start 4-H tonight. The leader told me that they had a list or breedes they could buy from, have you talked to your leaders yet?

3. got-horn?

Feb 26, 2008
    High Desert CA
    Hi,
    No there is no chicken leader! This is a very small club and no one else does chickens or rabbits. My husband is the beef and swine leader but hates chickens and knows nothing about them!
    I need the chickens for a mini 4-H'er. He can't show large livestock as you know so we were trying to get him started with the birds.
    Thanks for the reply though!

4. got-horn?

Feb 26, 2008
    High Desert CA
    K&H,
    I am computer challenged so I don't know how to answer you except like this:rolleyes: I'm sorry.
    Sure if you know anyone that might be able to steer me in the right direction that would be GREAT.
    The feed store has some but I think they might be mutt chickens. I wouldn't mind that for me but I don't think they would be very good to show.
    Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by