4-H Showing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sasimpson77, Jan 28, 2014.

1. sasimpson77

sasimpson77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    So my kids (I have 3 10,13,and 15) really want to show chickens in 4-h this year I think I am going to order some meat birds for them to show, but would also like to find some nice quality layers for them to show I would like for the chickens to be able to serve a purpose as well as be show birds so do not want bantams (Ilove them but would like eggs that the kids can sell) does any one have any recommendations or know of some where I could purchase some that are affordable (I am a single mom with not a ton of extra money to spend on birds). We currently have a wonderful flock of mixed hens and a couple of roosters, we are hatching some eggs right now but can't believe how hard it is to find pure bred chickens. Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Tractor Supply Co. sells chicks in march, they have multiple breeds and waterfowl.

3. Joshua G

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Welp hatchery sells some for about $2.82 a chick, shipping included.

4. sasimpson77

sasimpson77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    that is great to hear I was wondering when they did there chick days. Also will check out the Welp hatchery TY

5. Joshua G

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Glad to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by