4-h

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by thefishery, Jul 18, 2010.

1. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I would like for my kids to get involved in the poultry project with 4-H. Right now they are still a little young but I've got my work cut out for me if I want them to do this. Right now our fair does not have a poultry entry. The only animals they have shows for are the cattle and sheep. There isn't a person that does the poultry project so I guess I would have to be the leader for it. I would have a lot of work to do because I am still new to chickens myself. Does anyone know if I did become a leader for the poultry project, will the fair most likely open a poultry show? I just don't see there be a reason for doing the project if there is no show to compete in at the end of the season. If they don't open up to a poultry show, what steps should I take to get it started?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    My boys are in 4H and our local youthfair has a poultry show but there is also a state fair that they can enter if they want to. So what about the state fair in your area? Maybe you could go that route if the local fair refuses.

3. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

How about contacting your county Extension Agent? Or even neighboring counties? There may be more people interested in poultry that the Agents have been hearing from too.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    What part of the country are you from? Maybe someone will know of 4h clubs in your areas or poultry clubs.

When you say your fair doesn't have a poultry exhibit, do you mean a county fair? a state fair? something else? Chances are that there has not been an expressed interest, or there were poultry exhibits at one time, but they were discontinued due to lack of interest or lack of volunteers or ...

5. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I am just starting out in the 4-h leader department. I am lucky enough to have a poultry department at our county fair. My daughter is 5, so apparently that is old enough to be in 4-H at the small animal level. I have no clue on how to "start" a poultry project at your county fair, but agree that contacting the cooperative extension in your area would be a good first step.

6. SG_Chicken

SG_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    I agree contact your county 4H educator/director. They should have info on the chicken classes. They may have some but just not enough interest in it. Our Chicken projects groups are rather large so its not a problem.

7. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I've spoke with them at the co. extension office. They had to order a book for me. The county fair doesn't have a poultry exhibit. Don't you have to win the county level to go to the state fair? That's how it was when I was a kid showing horses. Our fair doesn't have a homemakers section either and won't add it. I know of several people who have tried for years to get it going. I pretty much assume it'll be the same way with chickens.

My kids are 7 and 5 so I guess if they include chickens in the small animal group then I can put them in it. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and see what I need to be a leader if that is all that is keeping them from having a poultry project. We were going to get some sheep just for the kids to get involved with the small animals but I'd love to use our chickens. The boys take pride in their birds.

Thanks for the responses guys and gals.

Oh and I am in KY. Seems like everyone else around us have poultry exhibits. I don't know what's with our backwoods town [​IMG]

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Contact kswaterfowl he is my 4H leader. He should be able to answer all of your questions from a good perspective. Our Poultry club has really grown alot in just a few years.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, different states have different rules, but there is no requirement in AZ to first show at the county fair. State Fair is open to anyone.

10. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I know PA fairs eliminated poultry at a lot of local shows years back when the avian flu was a concern. I only know of one or two that brought it back since then but the poultry 4Hs are still going at least in this county. If your county doesn't have one, try the district or state level. Also check into age limits on children! In our state, the age limit was 8 to 18 as of January 1st. They surely won't turn down a 4H leader at any point but that doesn't mean your child can enroll officially until the set age. However, they are never too young to learn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by