4 hens, 2 roosters and no eggs :(

soulfire

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 14, 2010
San Juan Island
I bought 6 chicks a few months ago. Two of them turned out to be roosters. We have 4 hamburgs (I think) and 2 black Brahamas. One of each is a male. They are all around 6 months. Are they too young to start laying? I've also heard that they need to establish a pecking order. New to raising chickens and somewhat confused! Thanks you guys! ~Haley

welcome-byc.gif

Post pics if you can...most people here can tell you what you have if you are not sure. I have Light Brahmas and they were EARLY layers (4.5 months). There are different variables to why chickens aren't laying...some lay early, some lay late. They could be too hot/too cold, not enough sunlight. They could be starting a molt, or can be broody (when they want to sit on eggs and hatch them...they don't lay any new eggs in this period). If they are six months old, they should be laying soon. Check their food, water, and supplements. Check for mites/lice/sickness. Make sure everything is in order. Also, the hens combs turn a brighter red when they are about to lay. Be patient...keep posting your questions.

I would think that if you've had them for a couple of months and they're comfortable in their new home, then a pecking order has already been established. However, they quite often do rearrange the pecking order- it's something they work on pretty much all the time. Pecking order is not something you need to worry about or interfere with unless someone is getting injured.

Keep an eye on your hens if you have them in with the roosters. 2 roos to 4 hens isn't a favorable ratio for the girls if the boys begin overmating them.

Quote:
Agree. Two roosters is way too many for that number of hens. A good ratio is 1 rooster to 10 hens. Any squabbling you are seeing is probably related to dominance fights between the roosters. Your hens are about the right age to start laying, but it is always a waiting game. Are their faces (combs and wattles) getting red? If they are still pale pink in the face then they have a while to go, but if they are getting red then you will have eggs soon.

Back
Top Bottom