4 Hens 5 ROOS Why are 3 of them trying to mount the Hens?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickyLoo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    We hatched some chicks of which 4 were Roos another Roo was given to us. I know we can only keep 1 ROO for this mutt flock & the rest are gonna have to go to freezer camp [​IMG] It appears the larger/older of the 5 ROOS is in charge (he's about 20wks old) sometimes...I say sometimes because now the smaller roos who are now about 17wks old are also crowing and they are mounting the hens!? The ROO that is 20wks stays close to the hens, chases the other ROOS away & seems to be doing his job. I thought only the head ROO mounted the hens?! I'm very confuzzled........

2. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Does breed come into plsy here? The head roo is a sex link 20wks no signs of aggression, is he too passive??

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They'll all mount the hens if the alpha rooster lets them get away with it.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:yeppers.

5. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Oh no! Not good for the poor hens! If he lets them get away with it does this mean he's a wimpy roo? The other roos aren't respecting his position?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Who knows? It is what it is and you may have to get rid of 4 of the roosters for your poor hens' sakes.

7. ChickyLoo

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I know....we hatched these babies so I'm attached [​IMG]:hit but I knew this day was coming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by