1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4 hens to 1 rooster okay?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newbie32, Aug 21, 2013.

1. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Hi everybody. I think I might have a rooster in my batch of 5. I wouldn't mind too much but I am a little worried that he would stress my hens out. I heard buff orpington roosters can be very docile and easy with the ladies. I am just starting out and think more than 7 birds would be too much for me. I could only acquire 2 more hens at most, which would give me 6 hens to 1 roo. Any suggestions? All input is welcome!

2. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    They should be fine. I had four to one for a long time and nothing bad happened. Just wait and see.

3. whitt910

whitt910 Out Of The Brooder

I have three rooster to 23 hens and they don't mind the roo's at all.I have buff orptington roo's and they're evil! I constantly have to put them in their place because they attack me. I tell my boyfriend all the time that they don't value their life.[​IMG] My RIR roo on the other hand is amazing. Either way your roo shouldn't stress your hens out. Roo's show hens what's good to eat and where is a good place and they protect them.

4. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Well what I meant by stressing out is the act itself I guess.....I know they can be harsh and cause bold spots on the hens when there are not enough hens to go around. Wow honestly you are the first person to say the Buffs are aggressive-I WILL NOT tolerate a mean animal period. If that becomes an issue I will eat it! You can eat roosters right? LOL I know I should know that but I don't :)

5. whitt910

At first if the roo's are ready and the hens aren't or only a few are it can be rather flu steering for us I think. Some of my hens were ready before others and the roo's just thought everyone was free game. So there's a lot of squalling and running from the roo's and sometimes a few neck feathers are lost in the process but all that subsides after a week or so. Sometime the hens saddle feathers to get damaged In the mating process, it's just something you have to monitor and if you notice feather loss you can but chicken saddles. I just order some from Crazy K farms and they're amazing. They still allow the roo's I mate but it protects the hens feathers and back from further damage. I know I have ornery Buffs. Most people talk about how mean the RIR roo's are but mine is an angle. He visits with me every evening. The buffs I the other hand need reminding who's boss. There is different opinions out there about eating roosters but I have a chicken book called Storeya Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow and they say no. It's up to you I suppose and when you decide to kill them. The younger the better from what I can gather. Check the book out it has TONS of great in from from raising to slaughtering. I hope this helps :)

6. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Great I will check Amazon right now for the book, do the feathers ever come back once they are gone or no?

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yes, the feathers grow back.

You'll just have to keep an eye on your hens and see how everyone's doing. Some flocks would be fine with your numbers, some would just be miserable. Living animals, not predictable and all that. Be sure you've got lots of space for the hens to get away from him and watch for bare backs, consistent resistance to mating, things like that.

8. whitt910

Good idea, its an awesome book! Yes they come back. With the help of the chicken saddles they do. I've had mine on for less than a week and I had one hen that had quite a bit of damage and they're coming back nicely. The saddles give them a chance to regrow and protects them. Once the feathers are grown back in you can take then off.

9. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

If you can, have six hens and one rooster. It is a better ratio.

That will also give you an opportunity to add variety to your flock.

If you do have problems with roosters mating hens too much, they sell hen saddles that protect their backs. But hopefully you won't have that problem.

Each chicken has its own personality.

10. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    ok so the verdict is in-should be ok, if not get saddles-but 2 more hens would be better ratio...thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by