4-Her's, and other young exhibitors

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Twistedfeather, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Are there any young exhibitors or 4-Hers out there? As many of us 4-Her's know that one of the most sacred of competitions in the 4-H world is Showmanship. Many of you who are not in 4-H or those who are just starting this year may not know what this is. Showmanship is the competition where a showman (a young child or the future generation of breeders and exhibitors) are dressed in nice attire (Oregon it's white shirt, black pants and shoes, belt and girls must wear their hair back.) There is a judge that then will ask the health check:

Head
    wings
    under color
    width of body
    keel/sternum
    vent
    depth of abdomen
    width between pubic bones
    feet and legs

the judge then asks questions about poultry and if the showman get's them right it goes towards their chances of being champion in class. Classes are normally novice, junior, intermediate, senior.

The idea of this thread is to help those who want to learn more about showmanship whether it'd be a question about a question they were asked, want to learn more about 4-H extra tips to impress the judge, or just how to do the health check than people who've had experience can assist those who need the help. I will be going to a show next weekend and as best I can I'll write down the questions that I was asked with hopefully the right answers. If you want to do this too you're more than welcome.

Thanks,
    Twistedfeather

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    All 4 of my kids are in 4H and I am co-leader of the 4H poultry club. The 2 oldest are also in FFA and do rabbits and beef. We do showmanship at every show that has it and the 2 oldest are on the county poultry judging team.

3. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    That's so cool! Our county doesn't necessarily have a county judging team since our chaperone makes anyone who does state fair does poultry judging anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by