4-ish wk old chicks thin ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiechick, May 12, 2009.

1. Chickiechick

Chickiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Cottage Grove , Oregon
    Having never raised chicks before I don't know if this is normal or not. I don't think they are sick so thought it was more appropriate to post in the raising forum not the health/illness one.
    My 4 are around four weeks old. I believe they are EE's.
    Very active . Feathering in normally for age from what I've read . Poops normal . Eating ever increasing amounts of medicated starter. Just recently started adding a sprinkle of yard weeds to their diet (plus chick grit) . Today a little boiled egg yolk and a few worms ( BIG hit [​IMG] )
    Warm end of brooder 75'f , cool end 60'f.
    I rarely handle them. Today I picked them up for a close inspection. They have some wieght to them but all 4 have very easily palpable breast bones. Not much padding.
    Is this normal for young growing chicks ?

2. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

As far as i know you should be able to easily feel the breastbone in a layer bird. They should feel more like a U than a sharp V (with the sides being the breast) but if you can't feel it or your bird has clevage, it's just overweight.

3. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I think breed and quality have a lot to do with that. I have had some chicks like that and others with fuller breasts. If you are feeding well, they are eating well, and they are acting normal and energetic, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Chickiechick

Chickiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Cottage Grove , Oregon
    Thankyou [​IMG]

They are layers ( but I know EE's are mixed breed ).

The ' U ' & ' V ' descriptions are great if I understood them correctly I'd grade my girls as a ' U ' .

I 'suspected' it was normal but needed verification from the experts.
    They are very active eating machines.

Who'd have guessed chickens could be so much fun ?

( ......... and the addiction begins......... [​IMG] [​IMG] )

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  5. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    chickens are the biggest addiction out there. You will find you never have enough! Then of course there are all those different breeds, why not have a few of each. You know you are doomed to affliction when you buy your first incubator!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by