4-ish wk old chicks thin ?

Chickiechick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Cottage Grove , Oregon
Having never raised chicks before I don't know if this is normal or not. I don't think they are sick so thought it was more appropriate to post in the raising forum not the health/illness one.
My 4 are around four weeks old. I believe they are EE's.
Very active . Feathering in normally for age from what I've read . Poops normal . Eating ever increasing amounts of medicated starter. Just recently started adding a sprinkle of yard weeds to their diet (plus chick grit) . Today a little boiled egg yolk and a few worms ( BIG hit
wink.png
)
Warm end of brooder 75'f , cool end 60'f.
I rarely handle them. Today I picked them up for a close inspection. They have some wieght to them but all 4 have very easily palpable breast bones. Not much padding.
Is this normal for young growing chicks ?

As far as i know you should be able to easily feel the breastbone in a layer bird. They should feel more like a U than a sharp V (with the sides being the breast) but if you can't feel it or your bird has clevage, it's just overweight.

I think breed and quality have a lot to do with that. I have had some chicks like that and others with fuller breasts. If you are feeding well, they are eating well, and they are acting normal and energetic, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thankyou
big_smile.png

They are layers ( but I know EE's are mixed breed ).

The ' U ' & ' V ' descriptions are great if I understood them correctly I'd grade my girls as a ' U ' .

I 'suspected' it was normal but needed verification from the experts.
They are very active eating machines.

Who'd have guessed chickens could be so much fun ?

( ......... and the addiction begins.........
roll.png
ya.gif
)

Last edited:
chickens are the biggest addiction out there. You will find you never have enough! Then of course there are all those different breeds, why not have a few of each. You know you are doomed to affliction when you buy your first incubator!

Back
Top Bottom