4 kids, 6 chickens...whew i'm tired!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by christinesrocks, Aug 22, 2013.

1. christinesrocks

christinesrocks New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Danville, PA
    Hello all! I'm Christine, I have 6 Barred Rocks, 2 or 3 of them may be roosters, not quite sure yet as I am new to chickens. They were hatched on April 15th, the day before my daughter (4th child) was born, so needless to say it has been an adventurous summer. The chickens have settled nicely into our family lifestyle, despite their need to occasionally poop on my front porch, I have also learned to keep the garage door shut at all times. I close them up in their hen house at night when they roost and let them out when I am home during the day, they do however have a run attached to their house also. When we go outside these guys seem to run right up to us and surround us as to say "whats up?" When they do this to my 2 year old son he gets scared and runs, sometimes having a chicken or two following him, the one day he was running across the yard yelling "TRACTOR", and got to his dads riding lawnmower, climbed up on it and felt safe, and our curious chickens were looking quite bewildered as to what just happened. My 3 year old daughter however cute she is, likes to be mischievous. While driving her power-wheels dune buggy, I caught her driving toward the flock yelling "watch out chickens, outta my way", blond pigtails billowing in the breeze behind her. her dad started running out after her, funnier yet was seeing him try to maneuver over stones in his bare feet, while quickly trying to stop our little princess from causing any chicken demise. So this is life on our little ???farm???, well not quite, maybe someday [​IMG].

2. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Howdy! [​IMG] Welcome to BYC! Kids and chickens....ain't life grand!! [​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC form northern Michigan [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Sounds fun to me! Welcome to the site. So you're looking at about 18isk weeks old? Once you get a few more posts you can post pictures of your flock to the What Breed/Gender Is This forum for some advice :) I love Barred Rocks, I have two and they are my favorite [​IMG] Also don't forget to check out the Learning Center

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Christine, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by