4 m/o Ameraucana pullet having difficulty drinking water, underweight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckbealady, Jan 4, 2017.

1. cluckbealady

cluckbealady New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    Hello there. I have a very dear, sweet 4 mo. old Ameraucana pullet who has been having an increasingly difficult time drinking/keeping water down. Over the past week or so I have noticed her drinking plenty of water, but right after she attempts to gulp it down she keeps her beak wiiiide open and looks as if she's gasping for air. If she manages to keep it down at all, I've noticed within the last few days that it sometimes comes up as clear (no smell) slime water. She is an outcast of the tribe and tends to huddle next to me anytime I come in the run. She has a healthy appetite, but is on the thin side with a pointy keen bone. I've checked her crop and it "seems" normal to me. I can feel bits of feed in there and it's not hard or too bubbly. I'm one step away from taking her to the vet, as she sometimes just closes her eyes and huddles her head into her shoulders during the day. Any input is appreciated asap!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have no clue why she can't drink normally but I would be fermenting her feed to get more water in her. With horses, if you change the height of the waterer, you sometimes fix drinking issues. You could try nipple waterers or raise the fount 4 inches.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  3. cluckbealady

cluckbealady New Egg

Jan 4, 2017

4. cluckbealady

cluckbealady New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    Thanks! I've been meaning to get my nipple watered set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by