4 mon old chick leg hurt....need replys nowww

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babynell<3, Oct 20, 2011.

1. babynell<3

babynell<3 New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    dade city
    [​IMG] getting very fraustrated looking for an answer from past ppls problems. cant find any [​IMG]
    i have a four month old chicken ( silkie nd Buff Brahmas mix, buff no markings with the cutest little hair do) named optimus ... yes like optimus prime, biggest baby we have had buteven though she was the biggest she is not anymore ... n e way

her left leg is not functioning right. she trys to walk but wobbles with her tail high leaning forwarded a lil. not sure what happened. she is caged with 3 other chickens(there all inseperable) we have because they are smaller then any littlest frizzle and cant wander due to the fact we had a huge attack during the day on our chickens twice, n several littles ones too. plus hawks harrass them all day,all my chickens r caged at night n the little ones r out several times a day supervised. talk about alot of work!!! work at home on horse ranch thk god

i think she got caught in the cage some how..... i feel bad everytime she walks its hard for her and her right leg kicks straight back when she wants to go forward. making her trip. is it twisted? sprained? broken? will it heal naturally?

she is more a dog then a chicken loves to stay by u, or on ur lap usually hurts to see her stumble(p.s. if u say cull her dont bother posting it ,i wld love to see u cull ur house dog , i cldnt sufficate my horse !! samething to us) please please please reply [​IMG]

2. rjchicks

rjchicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    I am so sorry about her, I feel terrible when I see an animal in pain like that. I think you should probably call an avain vet and they could put a little cast on it or something to help. Sorry I dont know exactly what to do but if I was in that situation I would call the vet. [​IMG]
    babynell<3 :

[​IMG] getting very fraustrated looking for an answer from past ppls problems. cant find any [​IMG]
    i have a four month old chicken ( silkie nd Buff Brahmas mix, buff no markings with the cutest little hair do) named optimus ... yes like optimus prime, biggest baby we have had buteven though she was the biggest she is not anymore ... n e way

her left leg is not functioning right. she trys to walk but wobbles with her tail high leaning forwarded a lil. not sure what happened. she is caged with 3 other chickens(there all inseperable) we have because they are smaller then any littlest frizzle and cant wander due to the fact we had a huge attack during the day on our chickens twice, n several littles ones too. plus hawks harrass them all day,all my chickens r caged at night n the little ones r out several times a day supervised. talk about alot of work!!! work at home on horse ranch thk god

i think she got caught in the cage some how..... i feel bad everytime she walks its hard for her and her right leg kicks straight back when she wants to go forward. making her trip. is it twisted? sprained? broken? will it heal naturally?

she is more a dog then a chicken loves to stay by u, or on ur lap usually hurts to see her stumble(p.s. if u say cull her dont bother posting it ,i wld love to see u cull ur house dog , i cldnt sufficate my horse !! samething to us) please please please reply [​IMG]

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    To start with, seperate her from the rest of the flock to make sure they don't peck on the wound or anything. Make SURE she's eating and DRINKING! Fell up and down her leg with your fingers to see if you can find a break. If not, you have two options. (1). Take her to a vet to make SURE its not broken. (2). Leave her alone for about a week in case its just a sprain and fixes itself.
    If you do feel a break, you can try to make a cast with two popsicle sticks and some tape, or take her to the vet and see what she says.

Good luck!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  4. babynell<3

babynell<3 New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    dade city
    of course she is eating and drinking perfectly if not id probally be way more worried, she eats and drinks like its any other day, sun bathes and even takes a very sad excuse of a dirt bath... felt for a brak nothing, even moved it slowly and she was fine idk..

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    It sounds like its just sprained. If you don't think its too bad, you can leave her with the rest of the chicks, for about a week, and see if it gets better. If it gets worst or doesn't get better, you might want to consider taking her to a vet.

6. egglicious

egglicious Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    I would separate her, maybe with a buddy, and make sure she is in a confined area with food and water very close so she doesn't have to walk far for it. If it's just a sprain it will take a while but she should recover.

7. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    Good luck for her speedy recovery, I hope it is not something that can't be fixed! [​IMG]

8. babynell<3

babynell<3 New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    dade city
    so far oppty is doin okay, she is currently in the house with leo her fizzle buddy, since everyone was yanking her tail out??? chickens are deff odd sometimes. anyway she trys to get around but has trouble with her splint. but other than that she is very very happy being in the house. yesterday i let her on the floor on a towl to give her people time but when i went to kitchen and back she was in the dog bed with a dog toy lol cute. she is clearly taking advantage of the situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by