1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4-month old Australorp--hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fxchsfrms, Aug 17, 2014.

1. fxchsfrms

fxchsfrms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

I have 2 that I thought were both hens. Both 4-months old. One has a much larger comb and wattle than the other...

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning towards cockerel because of the comb, but it is also possible that you simply have a fast maturing pullet. Another photo or two might help, especially a close-up of the tail area and a clear (not dark) side-profile photo.

3. fxchsfrms

Aug 17, 2014
    Thanks!

4. fxchsfrms

Aug 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

5. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    From the pics I would say its a pullet. However have a look at the rump feathers of they are sharp and pointy then its a boy . soft and rounded its a girl

6. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I agree with Stiggy. The saddle feathers look round, you should expect an egg from her soon. My BA roos were crowing by 13 weeks and had huge combs!

7. fxchsfrms

Aug 17, 2014
    Excited I may be getting an egg from her soon!

8. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    It IS exciting, that's for sure! I have black australorps, too, and one of my four girls finally started laying about 12 days ago. I was so excited when I saw it I almost cried...REALLY!! [​IMG]

Have you tried to pet her on her back to see if she does the "submissive squat" ? That's a sure sign they're really close. My gal started bwaaking about 4-5 days before she laid...drove me crazy! Bwaaking here, Bwaaking there, in the coop, outta the coop, in the coop, outta the coop...She knew something was happening "back there" but couldn't really figure it out! [​IMG]

Best of luck, and DO let us know when you get that first egg!!

1 person likes this.
  9. fxchsfrms

Aug 17, 2014
    They all run when I try to pet them. I haven't tried holding them since they were small and then had to go out of town a whole month. Think I missed my opportunity with these girls, but they will come close to me--just not close enough to touch--they know who gives them treats!

10. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    l was disappointed when my sweet babies got bigger and started to run from me. I discovered much to my pleasure that once they start to lay, they tend to calm down again. Many hens will squat submissively which gives you the opportunity to pick them up. Now most of my laying hens are big babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by