4 month old Austrolorp just died HELP!

mchlldickson

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Corona Ca
So Im on the verge of tears right now. My favorite chicken Barbie Que just died in my arms! She was a 4 month old Austrolorp, she was beautiful and super friendly. I noticed yesterday that she was kinda hanging by herself, but just thought she was resting. Today I noticed that she was very lethargic and her comb was VERY pale. So I put her in quarantine, with another one of my chickens are aren't doing so well (I'll explain her issues in a minute). I went to go check on them after I picked up my kids from school. I noticed that she was panting so I set her next to the water. After a few minutes of her doing nothing but closing her eyes. I put her in my lap to give her some love and TLC. Within about 3 minutes she started outstretching her leg and her breathing got more labored. She let her head drop and gave out one last very loud squack and started vomiting fluid and food. She died within 30 second of throwing up. I'm devastated, and now very worried.

My other chicken is a Buff Orpington, she's been under the weather for well over a week now. She's very skinny, and her comb is also very pale. She doesn't have much energy, and will stumble if she's not careful. She still eats and drinks great though. I have treated her for worms, external parasites and just started treatment for Coccidia.

Im so scared, I fell like I'm totally in over my head. I have no idea what to do or why this is happening to me. I keep my coop and run very clean, my chickens get lots of super healthy organic greens that I grow in my garden just for them. They get meal worm and crickets. I love my girls and I need to know how to fix them. My heart can't handle another loss!

Anyone?
1f622.png

I wish I had something helpful to say besides that I'm so sorry! Is your Buff the same age as the Australorp or is she older/younger? That might help someone figure out what's going on.

So sorry, I don't know what happened. You wormed them both.
Have you had her since she was a chick?

I wish I had something helpful to say besides that I'm so sorry! Is your Buff the same age as the Australorp or is she older/younger? That might help someone figure out what's going on.

So sorry, I don't know what happened. You wormed them both.
Have you had her since she was a chick?

I got them both as chicks at the same time.
1f61f.png
I know, I feel like I'm at a loss. I have no idea what happend and still no idea what's going on with the buff. Maybe it's just bad luck, idk.

Could be coccidiosis. How were/are the droppings?

Edit: Sorry, just saw you just started treating for cocci - What were/are you using to treat them with?

Last edited:
The only way to truly discover why your hen died it to have a necropsy performed. See if you can contact a veteriarian who treats chickens to evaluate the one that is still alive. There are so many diseases out there with the same symtoms. Heavy metal poisioning. Toxic plant ingestion. Found a stash of rat poison. And so many bacteria and viral infections can infect chickens.

So sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom