4 month old chicken and roosters loosing neck feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lrhoodes1126, Mar 15, 2012.

1. lrhoodes1126

lrhoodes1126 New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    Hello everyone,

both my mom and I have backyard chickens. She got hers from a local farmer friend of hers who said they were a mix of different kinds. They look like typical brown and red chickens to me. All her chickens and roosters have lost their feathers around their neck. They are only 4 months old so it to early for molting. They are all eating and drinking fine and their poop is normal. They are not aggressive towards each other. They have plenty of room to roam and on nice days have the whole yard. Her friend said none of her chickens had ever done this and she wasn't sure. I am doing this bc my mom is not very tech savvy but is need of some help. I would hate for her to have to pay a high vet bill for something simple. Any thoughts or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sorry i just talked to mom, poop is a little runny
    Lindsay

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi, would you mind answering these questions?
    Have you checked them over thoroughly for lice/mites?
    Are you sure they're not pecking each other?
    When was the last time they were wormed?
    What wormer did you use?

3. lrhoodes1126

lrhoodes1126 New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    yes they have been checked thourly for lice/mites...none

she is with them most of the day outside and said she has not seen any aggression.

she has not wormed them, she and i were un aware of having to worm, is that what medicated food is? this is for me bc i give mine organic starter food should i get wormer?

4. hennyandpenny

hennyandpenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    could they be molting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by