4 month old chickens (sex unknown) starting to fight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MedChicken, Mar 30, 2012.

1. MedChicken

MedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Hello all!

I have three chickens hatched 11/19/2011 whom I added to my flock of 12 hens in December 2011. I suspect one of them is a cockerel since I see a few saddle feathers, but they are both silkie mixes and the other is too fluffy to tell but has no visible saddle feathers and a much smaller comb. Neither is crowing or laying.

Now two of them are fighting. They fight only when they are outside to free range (not in the coop) and go at it pretty determinedly (facing each other with neck feathers flared, pecking, flapping, locking beaks) but there is yet to be any serious damage, just a spot of blood on each comb after the most recent encounter. The adult hens step in and peck the one who I suspect is a cockerel to try break it up. They stop after about 20 minutes. Come evening, though, I can always find them snuggled up next to each other on the perch. This is the 3rd day in a row of this behavior.

I'm used to a bit of fighting when the pecking order might change, but this is a bit more persistent. Do I need to get rid of one of them, or is it just adolescent hormones that they'll get over?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Both could be roos. I have two barred rocks who get along, but they will fight each other trying. The smallest trying to outdo his brother. Nothing ever serious though. I would either get rid of one, or just wait a little longer and see if it settles down.

3. MedChicken

MedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    I just came across this as I am getting back into raising chickens. It did turn out that both were roos - they started crowing about a month apart :( And in my area, that meant both had to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by