4 month old chicks. - what breed are they?

impis

Songster
9 Years
Nov 20, 2010
Hi,

I actually know what breed these chicks are, but thought it might be fun for you to try to find out. They are hybrids, though - so there's a clue. Can you work out what breeds they come from?

I have no idea on the breed (maybe a Barred Rock with a Wyandotte?), but they sure are pretty, especially the second one!

This is mom. Do you know what breed she is? This photo was taken when she was just a youngster herself, pre egg laying. Her comb and wattles are bigger now, which makes the crest much less obvious. Of the two chicks, only the male has the crest feathers - but not as clearly as she has here in this photo.

I'm not seeing how they can be full siblings. The only way I know of for a male to be barred and the female non-barred, with pure bred parents, it for the mom to be barred and the father to be solid, making the chicks sex links. If that's momma of both, then they had different fathers. Or, she's not genetic momma of both. Just don't see how it can happen.

I absolutely confirm that these two are full siblings. We have only one cock and 3 hens. Each hen lays a different coloured egg. We incubated only the eggs from this hen, who was running with only this cockerel. Thats how i know these two are full siblings! When they hatched, one chick was brown and the other yellow. I assumed that they must be sex linked but had to wait to see how they developed to find out which way. Originally I'd thought the brown chick would be the hen [like in a rhodie and leghorn mix] but that proved to be incorrect when the male began to crow, albeit a bit strangely, at 5 and a half weeks old. LOL!

The sire is a Barnvelder. Its hard to see the lacing on his feathers as he's so dark - but he does have lacing.

Mom is a rather obscure 'breed' or 'type' or whatever. In any case, here's a further clue - she lays blue eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom