4 month old cockerel is mating, Could He Be Fertile??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilkiesForEver, Jan 21, 2013.

1. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    My 4 month old Mille fleur D'uccle cockerel (along with a couple other boys), have been mating my 4 month old pullets. Today, my Mille cockerel grabbed my D'uccle pullet's head, and tried to jump on, but she twisted away, and he stood on the floor of their coop, "Mating the floor". I don't think he would be fertile at this age, would he? The boys have been crowing, and mating my hens, but I didn't think they could accomplish anything at such a young age. [​IMG]
    Could they?

Thanks,
    Jenae

2. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Anyone have an idea?

3. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I would like to know, so I can put him in my breeding pen as soon as possible! [​IMG]

4. No. They can't successfully fertilize an egg and the pullets eggs aren't fertile.

5. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for your response. Oh well, he'll grow. [​IMG]

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California

7. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    [​IMG] Good! Really want to start my breeding pen, and I hope I'll have some chicks by Spring. [​IMG]

8. BY Chicken Lady

BY Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Overgaard, AZ
    Well I have an answer to this question and it is YES, they can be fertile at quite a young age. I just recently witnessed my 13 week old cockerel mounting my laying hen. I thought, "There is no way he is fertile yet, he is only 13 weeks old!" I came here and read this thread and thought, "See, he couldn't be, but he sure has the gymnastics down." Then over the next few days I watched him try to mount the other 13 week old pullets but they would just run from him. My laying hen however was older and knew what she was suppose to do so she would squat and let him jump on. After he was done (which sadly doesn't take long) she would get up, fluff herself out then checked her rear end (?), interesting.

I read somewhere that if he is able to manage the moves then it means he is fertile. To test this theory I decided to collect her eggs up for the next 4 days. I waited 2 days, then began collecting. Then I cracked them open and all 4 eggs had the definite 'bullseye' that indicates a fertile egg. Since I already have my incubator running I put one of her eggs into incubator and I will candle it after a week to see if anything is happening inside.

So the answer is Yes, a cockerel can be fertile at 13 weeks old and he can successfully mate with a hen. [​IMG]

BTW, I know the exact hatch date of my cockerel so there is no discrepancy on his age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by