4 month old hen laid a teeny tiny egg! Take a look see!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickfillhay, Jul 25, 2008.

1. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    What a little egg! I suppose I shouldn't let it hatch should I.
    I sure don't want to eat it. But I might just take the insides out very carefully by poking a tiny hole at the ends and blowing it out. Then I will be able to save this little gem! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. FlockEweFarm

FlockEweFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    LOL! How cute, something is better than nothing though! I have gotten 2 eggs out of my 4 month olds....all 43 of them....2 eggs...total....but that tiny one is to die for! you should paint it something cute.

3. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    What kind of hen? It kinda looks like a fart egg (no, I didnt come up with that term.) Thats an egg with no yolk.

4. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    What kind of hen? It kinda looks like a fart egg (no, I didnt come up with that term.) Thats an egg with no yolk.

[​IMG] My coke just came out of my nose! A fart egg! What a riot! Somebody actually and seriously came up with that term! [​IMG]
    I'll go candle it............................................OK, I candled. And you just might be right. Maybe its too soon but I don't see anything different in there. It all looks just the same. Empty even!
    Edited to tell you I think it's from my super big barred rock. The others are Buff Orpingtons but they're 3 weeks younger than the barred rock.​

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  5. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I had one of these a few months ago--I didn't know they were called fart eggs. lol

6. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Yeah, its usually a pullet's first attempt at an egg, and every once in a great while, an older hen will lay one, but thats pretty rare.

7. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    For about the last week I have been getting 2 to 4 of them a day from my 4 and a half month old EE's and a SLW. I can't wait for them to get to normal size since I am selling some of my eggs now and I don't want to put those little eggs in there to sell. They have a little tiny yolk in them.

A few months ago I got a real tiny egg from one of my RIR's that always lays a nice big brown egg. It was the smallest one I've seen (about the size of a quail egg I guess). I think this one is known as a "Wind Egg", I think it is caused by a chicken getting startled or scared while it's forming and it just slips out when they take off when they get scared by something. About that time I had a problem with my neighbors dogs comming over and chasing my chickens and a fox that did get one of my hens. I keep a BB gun or my .22 handy when I let them out to free range now so they don't come around as often.

Jayare

8. chickfillhay

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    My chicken known as Grey Poopon must have taken a gander at me in the early am hours........Actually probably anytime of the day!!! [​IMG]

9. vickiemontana

vickiemontana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Montana
    I have been waiting to get enough little eggs to make an omlet, I cannot believe they are really called fart eggs. [​IMG] I'll have to candle them later and check it out. Only one of my 4 mo old RIR is laying. I hope the other 15 start picking up the pace or it will be winter.[​IMG]

10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] My coke just came out of my nose! A fart egg! What a riot! Somebody actually and seriously came up with that term! [​IMG]
    I'll go candle it............................................OK, I candled. And you just might be right. Maybe its too soon but I don't see anything different in there. It all looks just the same. Empty even!
    Edited to tell you I think it's from my super big barred rock. The others are Buff Orpingtons but they're 3 weeks younger than the barred rock.

Must be a barred rock thing..... I got 4 new hens last week between 6 months and a year, 2 lay really nice eggs and 1 lays nice med eggs and 1 of them pops out "fart eggs" (getting better with time) it was smaller than my silkies eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by