4 month old hen laid a teeny tiny egg! Take a look see!!!

chickfillhay

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 31, 2007
Berlin Nh
What a little egg! I suppose I shouldn't let it hatch should I.
I sure don't want to eat it. But I might just take the insides out very carefully by poking a tiny hole at the ends and blowing it out. Then I will be able to save this little gem!
jumpy.gif
5506_little_egg_big_egg.jpg

LOL! How cute, something is better than nothing though! I have gotten 2 eggs out of my 4 month olds....all 43 of them....2 eggs...total....but that tiny one is to die for! you should paint it something cute.

What kind of hen? It kinda looks like a fart egg (no, I didnt come up with that term.) Thats an egg with no yolk.

lau.gif
My coke just came out of my nose! A fart egg! What a riot! Somebody actually and seriously came up with that term!
gig.gif

I'll go candle it............................................OK, I candled. And you just might be right. Maybe its too soon but I don't see anything different in there. It all looks just the same. Empty even!
Edited to tell you I think it's from my super big barred rock. The others are Buff Orpingtons but they're 3 weeks younger than the barred rock.​

Last edited:
Yeah, its usually a pullet's first attempt at an egg, and every once in a great while, an older hen will lay one, but thats pretty rare.

For about the last week I have been getting 2 to 4 of them a day from my 4 and a half month old EE's and a SLW. I can't wait for them to get to normal size since I am selling some of my eggs now and I don't want to put those little eggs in there to sell. They have a little tiny yolk in them.

A few months ago I got a real tiny egg from one of my RIR's that always lays a nice big brown egg. It was the smallest one I've seen (about the size of a quail egg I guess). I think this one is known as a "Wind Egg", I think it is caused by a chicken getting startled or scared while it's forming and it just slips out when they take off when they get scared by something. About that time I had a problem with my neighbors dogs comming over and chasing my chickens and a fox that did get one of my hens. I keep a BB gun or my .22 handy when I let them out to free range now so they don't come around as often.

Jayare

My chicken known as Grey Poopon must have taken a gander at me in the early am hours........Actually probably anytime of the day!!!
sickbyc.gif

I have been waiting to get enough little eggs to make an omlet, I cannot believe they are really called fart eggs.
big_smile.png
I'll have to candle them later and check it out. Only one of my 4 mo old RIR is laying. I hope the other 15 start picking up the pace or it will be winter.
5326_little_bitty_eggs.jpg

Quote:
lau.gif
My coke just came out of my nose! A fart egg! What a riot! Somebody actually and seriously came up with that term!
gig.gif

I'll go candle it............................................OK, I candled. And you just might be right. Maybe its too soon but I don't see anything different in there. It all looks just the same. Empty even!
Edited to tell you I think it's from my super big barred rock. The others are Buff Orpingtons but they're 3 weeks younger than the barred rock.

Must be a barred rock thing..... I got 4 new hens last week between 6 months and a year, 2 lay really nice eggs and 1 lays nice med eggs and 1 of them pops out "fart eggs" (getting better with time) it was smaller than my silkies eggs.

Back
Top Bottom