4 month old LAYS EGG!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenwoods, Aug 29, 2007.

1. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    One of my 4 month old rir/buff orp (supposed to be rir,but she is lighter in color) layed her first egg!!!!

I just put her in the barn with the big girls,i guess they taught her how lol..I had 7 eggs this morning.(only six full grown hens in barn,and the 4 month old)I know one of my layin hens didnt lay two eggs,this egg was DEFINATLY a pullet egg.

Anyone had an early layer like this??

2. nuchickmama

nuchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Rock Island, TN
    I have 30 4 month old pullets of various breeds and 9-10 are laying eggs. Didn't expect them to start laying until Sept or Oct, but they are.

3. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Congrats!!
    I had a BR start at 17 weeks... a BO start at 19 weeks... a RIR start at 18 weeks... I guess you could call that 4 months

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    My lil red x link started at a little over 3 1/2 months, on July 21, and she was born around March 29. She has been regular every since, only missed two days that first week. [​IMG]

She was 16 1/2 weeks.

5. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Do yalls chickens lay eggs every day???
    I have 7 layers now,
    1 w/Leghorn
    3 rir
    2 blacksexlink
    1 wyndotte

and i rarely get all 7 eggs everyday..[​IMG]
    6 of them have been laying for a little over a month now and i usually get 5 a day from them.sometimes 6 or 7 avg 5 .is this normal??

6. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    I think chickens generally lay 6 eggs a week - so they'll each miss a day each week!

7. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have only 5 laying everyday right now out of 42 hens... personally I think I have a few that are laying elsewhere that I just can not find... locking them up next week to find out... but to answer your question... if they are just learning to lay,... they can take some time to get regular... about 7 to 10 days from what I have read on here... sometimes less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by