4 month old light Brahma rooster dropped dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aaajjss1, Feb 21, 2012.

1. aaajjss1

aaajjss1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    He was fine about 30 minutes earlier when I checked on my Chickens then I found him lying faced down dead, no wounds or any thing, he did sometimes cough while eating his crumbles, but seemed fine eating, running around and everything.any ideas why anyone?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If none of the others are coughing or have any sign of respiratory illness (sneezing, mucus from the nose, bubbly eyes, etc,) then I would guess something like heart or a tumor, something internally wrong. Remember, chickens are expert at hiding that they don't feel well. I'm sorry.

3. aaajjss1

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    I'm sorry too, all 7 of the hens are good I checked all of them over this morning. I think you are right probably a heart attack or some thing. thanks for your input.

4. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Exact same thing happened to my bantam cochin roo a few months back. Just dropped dead.

I noticed gasping beforehand, like he inhaled a crumble. I checked him and found lice and mites - check yours and see if he has any and check your girls! I don't know if that can kill them but it's not good.

5. aaajjss1

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    I didn't see any bugs on him a few hours after he died I cut his crop open to see if it looked like he had something in there. will check girls in the morning.thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by